Good morning folks! Here are some links to kick off your day.
In Mariners news...
- A Mariners connection to the recent tragedy.
#Mariners Braden Bishop on John Altobelli, who passed away earlier today in the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and his daughter.— William Boor (@wboor) January 26, 2020
Bishop is one of several #MLB players who played for Altobelli in the Cape Cod League. pic.twitter.com/0CmqXfBgS1
- Baseball America named its top 20 catching prospects in baseball, with Cal Raleigh checking in at No. 20.
- In case you missed it, Baseball Prospectus released their Preseason Top-101, with two Mariners in the Top-10. Our recap is here.
- The ZiPS projections from Dan Szymborski of FanGraphs will be released for the Mariners today. Here’s his preview of the depth chart.
Tuesday is #ZiPS2020 Day for the Seattle #Mariners. Here's the rough depth chart for what will go live at #FanGraphs. pic.twitter.com/foancunhfu— Dan Szymborski (@DSzymborski) January 28, 2020
- The latest episode of the Lookout Landing Podcast was another installment in our “Why I’m a Mariners Fan” series, focused on getting a sense of how folks from all over have come to enjoy this team and community. This week’s guest is Jeva Lange from The Week magazine!
Around the league...
- Ryan Braun said this could be his final season playing baseball.
- With Nicholas Castellanos now in the fold, this makes some sense.
Reds are considering trading Nick Senzel. Have heard his name is out there on market.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 27, 2020
- Pretty deep, but also potentially messy.
#Reds front office gives me their tentative OF Plan:— Jim Bowden (@JimBowdenGM) January 27, 2020
Castellanos LF & RF & some 1B. Winker mostly LF & RF. Senzel in CF& possibly some INF. Akiyama in all 3 but MOSTLY in CF. Ervin as corner back up. Aquino mostly in RF because of the plus arm, he also has an option if needed.
- Jim Callis awards the top tools among the MLB Pipeline top 100 prospects.
- This would be pretty big news, obviously.
There is a growing belief amongst NL GM’s that the DH will be instituted for NL as early as 2021. FWIW.— Jim Bowden (@JimBowdenGM) January 27, 2020
- Clayton Kershaw isn’t impressed by the behavior of the Astros thus far this winter, noting they haven’t shown “a lot of remorse” in an ESPN interview.
- Curious how this will go...
New for the 2020 MLB season: Much like NFL referees have done for years, umpires will be mic’d up and tell fans in attendance and those watching on television and listening on radio if reviewed calls are upheld or overturned. They may also explain rules, if necessary.— Pedro Gomez (@pedrogomezESPN) January 27, 2020
- Ben Clemens of FanGraphs did due diligence on home run rates, making sure some of our commonly referenced stats like xFIP (everything the same as regular Fielding Independent Pitching, except all pitchers are treated as though they have league-average HR/FB%) still line up. The short answer - the best hitters hit far more home runs per fly ball than the worst hitters, but the best pitchers barely give up fewer dingers per ball in the air than the worst pitchers.
- So we always seem to hear...
Dave Kaval says he thinks the A’s will get final approval for new stadium this summer. “Get the shovels ready,” he says.— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) January 25, 2020
- The Diamondbacks got much stronger, adding outfielder Starling Marte to their roster yesterday in exchange for a pair of prospects.
Malone plus Peguero (via @ByRobertMurray ) Plus $250 international money this year go to Purates in marte deal— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 27, 2020
- A former Mariner has found a new home in an old home.
No place like home. Thank you @Mets #Grateful #ST2020 pic.twitter.com/ybXXZTnp7F— Rob Whalen (@RobWhalen38) January 27, 2020
- If only we knew of a team that could use some starting pitching...
Chris Archer is presumably now extremely available from the Pirates.— Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman) January 27, 2020
I wrote about him last month as a potential Twins trade target. Could be a prime bounce-back candidate, but could also just be in the middle of a steep decline. https://t.co/32Zn12ZOTx pic.twitter.com/1H5JvR2mpE
- The Marlins agreed to a one-year deal with right-hander Brandon Kintzler.
- Potentially the last knuckleballer in affiliated ball (pending Ryan Feirabrand’s state) is headed to the Orioles on a minor league deal. Mickey Jannis had spent the past several years with the Mets.
- Another very touching Bryant tribute.
GiGi Bryant always dreamed of playing for Uconn. Tonight, they honored her @UConnWBB pic.twitter.com/Ml1ag18XaM— Overtime (@overtime) January 27, 2020