Hello, and a very happy Sunday to you! Here’s a nice news dump to keep your mind off of whatever tomorrow may bring.
In Mariners news...
- Marco Gonzales went on 710 ESPN a couple days ago and sounded off on the Astros scandal.
Marco Gonzales on @710ESPNSeattle on #Astros sign stealing:— Boy Howdy (@BoyHowdyESPN) January 24, 2020
"I'm mad at the way they've acted throughout the time and the attitudes they've had towards the game. Thinking that you're above the game and thinking that it's OK to take advantage of other guys, that's not cool." pic.twitter.com/OQwljuexwM
- David Laurila at Fangraphs had some nice thoughts on Rodríguez’s future with the Mariners.
- In case you missed it: MLB Pipeline dropped their Top 100 prospects yesterday. Our own Joe Doyle took a look at which Mariners made the cut, and what that means going forward.
Around the league...
- The Dodgers president has made his first public comment on the scandal.
The first public comments from Dodgers president Stan Kasten following MLB’s report on the Astros’ sign-stealing: "I’d like to have answers to many questions about what happened, by whom and when" pic.twitter.com/5Sc0FhM8FL— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) January 25, 2020
- Eduardo Núñez has signed with the Mets. The source clarified that it was as an NRI.
- Dodgers 3B Justin Turner had some comments regarding the Astros scandal, saying that it was “hard to feel that they earned [the title]”.
- Rich Hill also had some necessary perspective on the fallout.
Asked about the Dodgers’ World Series losses to Houston and Boston and what may have impacted those series, Rich Hill discussed the people most affected by those moments, clubbies, video guys, trainers. pic.twitter.com/UWrrsVBEPA— Dan Hayes (@DanHayesMLB) January 25, 2020
- Dave O’Brien, the Athletic Braves beat writer, writes that Félix Hernández could make the team as a fifth starter. ($)
- Mike Rosenbaum at MLB.com took a look at which teams had the most prospects in the MLB Pipeline Top 100 that droppepd yesterday.
- There’s a rumor that the Twins may be interested in extending Nelson Cruz beyond 2020.
- This doesn’t look great.
Here’s video of Justin Verlander being the biggest hypocrite alive as he jokes about the cheating Houston Astros at the BBWAA dinner pic.twitter.com/ymUGhYd0It— The Short Porch (@short_porch) January 26, 2020
- At least somebody is saying it.
Dick Bremer asked Max Kepler how he improved his home run hitting last year:— SKOR North (@SKORNorth) January 25, 2020
“Well the baseball is juiced.”
- We’d all love to go to Mars. But what are some of the major obstacles, and why might it be even more difficult than we think?