In Mariners News...
- Seattle added a pitcher who spent last season throwing 57 innings for the Padres. Reggie McClain, the Mariners’ 16th-round pick in 2016, was DFA’d to make room on the 40-man roster.
Welcome to Seattle, Nick Margevicius.— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) January 24, 2020
The Mariners have claimed the left-handed pitcher off waivers from the Padres and added him to the 40-man roster.
- If you’d like to read more about Margevicius, the San Diego Union-Tribune wrote a story in 2019 about how he “baffles hitters with brains over brawn”.
- Five Mariner prospects graduated from a high school equivalency program at the team’s Dominican academy.
- Louis Boyd, the AquaSox’ 25-year-old manager, went on Minor League Baseball’s podcast to talk about his quick transition from the field to dugout.
NEW EPISODE— Minor League Baseball (@MiLB) January 24, 2020
Everett's Boyd talks about managing at 25
Sam & Tyler discuss the Hall of Fame
Ben's Biz recaps new logo szn
➡️ https://t.co/6cT80NHzqi pic.twitter.com/y3f1JqecDw
- Someone give the moose my number.
Get you a Moose who can do it all pic.twitter.com/5yzUUXG8Pa— Mariner Moose (@MarinerMoose) January 24, 2020
Around the League...
- The Astros got in trouble for doing a whole mess of things they weren’t supposed to do. As a result, their manager and GM got fired. I enjoyed it a lot. But fear not, Astros fans who snuck your way in here. A savior is on the horizon! He went to Dartmouth (so he’s #smart), and he played baseball for a long time (so he respects the game).
Astros To Interview Brad Ausmus https://t.co/ObAlRHE7Go pic.twitter.com/8hEzbcpe9m— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) January 24, 2020
- Pittsburgh is bringing the script-style font back to their jerseys.
The @Nike jerseys are straight— Pirates (@Pirates) January 24, 2020
Rewrite the Script. pic.twitter.com/phlhBM75Gb
- This entire bullet point is just Tim Anderson.
I didn’t need a Vote for this. I Earned This One pic.twitter.com/rPJdrE9AyR— T A 7 (@TimAnderson7) January 25, 2020
- The Marlins are...trying?
Sources : In addition to pursuing RP Pedro Strop the Marlins are also very much in pursuit of RP Brandon Kintzler (as I’ve previously reported.) It appears they are very serious about signing one of those two, presumably to handle the 9th.— Craig Mish (@CraigMish) January 24, 2020
- I feel you, robot umps.
After experimenting in 2019 with ball-strike motion sensors, Atlantic League umpires tell me the technology isn’t ready for MLB. Said one: “it was wrong about 20 percent of the time. And some pitches it couldn’t make up its mind. No call either way."— Bob Klapisch (@BobKlap) January 24, 2020
- This Clinton Yates story on Ron Washington begins with “It’s 7:15 a.m. on Sunday, and Ron Washington is smoking a cigarette and drinking coffee in the dugout. The Atlanta Braves third-base coach is getting ready for his day, taking his ‘personal time,’ as he puts it. But he can hardly get through that. He’s too popular.” I passed out from coolness exposure after that.
- Sabrina Ionescu broke Gary Payton’s all-time conference record in assists on Friday night. Oregon and Oregon State play again on Sunday, both teams are ranked in the top ten, and you can watch the game on ESPN2.
.@sabrina_i20 assists on the first bucket of the game and she has officially passed Gary Payton for the Pac-12 all-time men's and women's assists record with 939! #GoDucks | @Pac12Network pic.twitter.com/3joJxdOkgN— Oregon Women’s Basketball (@OregonWBB) January 25, 2020
- I enjoyed reading this.
wrote something very embarrassing about how much being single is bumming me out https://t.co/eTLFxcQsD2— Brandy Jensen (@BrandyLJensen) January 24, 2020
- For the six of you who care, I’ve been obsessed with these two songs recently:
So Hot You’re Hurting My Feelings by Caroline Polachek