Good morning everyone! We’ve got some fresh Thursday links for you.
In Mariners news...
- For Baseball America subscribers, they did a separate article on the players who just barely missed the top 100, such as Mariners George Kirby, Justin Dunn, Justus Sheffield, Brandon Williamson, and Kyle Lewis. ($)
- And here’s a list of the lucky minor leaguers who will be at big league camp.
Here’s a list of the 21 players the Mariners have issued non-roster invites for MLB spring training. As expected, Julio Rodriguez, Jarred Kelenic and Logan Gilbert are on the list. pic.twitter.com/pE0Kq1EZwu— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) January 22, 2020
Around the league...
- The Cubs re-signed Danny Hultzen to a minor league deal.
- I can’t possibly imagine him being anywhere else.
Our own @FlannyMLB says it’s a $4M deal. https://t.co/ZQuDBfKmTu— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) January 22, 2020
- I probably would have believed you if you’d told me he retired.
Sources: #Phillies in agreement with free-agent pitcher Francisco Liriano on a minor-league deal. $1.5 million with $1.25 million in incentives. @JonHeyman first said close.— Robert Murray (@ByRobertMurray) January 22, 2020
- The Mets got that settled pretty quickly.
Luis Rojas is the Mets choice to manage— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 22, 2020
- Prepare a big debate on this now that it’s getting closer to MLB regular season games.
Rob Manfred also said on FOX Business that we’re going to see use of the so-called robot umpire system during spring training.— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) January 22, 2020
- Kiley McDaniel at Fangraphs wonders where the Astros go from here.
- Jay Jaffe recapped the Hall of Fame results by looking at where each player is now in the process.
- The well-known Philadelphia Flyers mascot got into some hot water, but might be clean after all?
Statement from #Flyers regarding an allegation that Gritty punched a 13-year-old boy in the head: “We took Mr. Greenwell’s allegations seriously and conducted a thorough investigation that found nothing to support this claim.”— Dave Isaac (@davegisaac) January 22, 2020
- And in football news...
Eli Manning will hold a news conference Friday to announce his retirement, sources tell @JordanRaanan and me.— Dan Graziano (@DanGrazianoESPN) January 22, 2020