Good morning everyone! Here are some links to kick off your Wednesday.
In Mariners news...
- Greg Johns talked about the ETA of top Mariners prospects and other questions in his latest mailbag.
- It’s a shame he that never worked out for the Mariners.
The Seattle Mariners have released RHP Max Povse.— Joe (@JoeDoyleMiLB) January 21, 2020
Povse was the primary return in a deal that sent former #6 overall pick Alex Jackson C/RF to the Atlanta Braves in 2017.
Povse underwent shoulder surgery last April and is still recovering.
- But as some leave, others enter.
The Mariners also signed minor league catchers Justin Novak and Ryan Scott.— Joe (@JoeDoyleMiLB) January 21, 2020
Novak was an undrafted free agent out of the University of Virginia. He has played catcher sparingly.
Scott spent 2017 and 2018 in the Mariners organization. He'll likely play 2020 between AA and AAA.
- The Mariners are making some changes to the ballpark.
From comfortable loge box seating in the Terrace Club to an all-new Rooftop Boardwalk, find out how @TMobilePark is only getting better as your Seattle summer home. ☀️ ️ pic.twitter.com/f1embtYre7— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) January 21, 2020
Around the league...
- Congratulations to the Hall of Fame Class of 2020!
Jeter (99.7 percent) and Walker (76.6) are the newest Hall of Famers. Jeter misses being unanimous by one vote.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 21, 2020
- Ugh, just awful news for Dustin Pedroia, who has been trying to come back since his last full season in 2016.
Breaking news: #RedSox 2B Dustin Pedroia has suffered what sources say was a significant setback with his left knee.— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) January 21, 2020
His availability for at least spring training is questionable. Pedroia is discussing his options with his family, agents, and the Sox.
- Patrick Dubuque at Baseball Prospectus looks at some players who have accrued the most playing time without a playoff appearance. ($)
- Pedro Moura at The Athletic talked to Dodgers prospects about how they make ends meet with low minor league wages. ($)
- The Angels are looking like studs-and-duds again this year.
Tomorrow is Angels ZiPS Day at #FanGraphs. Here's the sneak peek at the rough depth chart graphic.— Dan Szymborski (@DSzymborski) January 21, 2020
Yes, the 1B time projected for a longtime utility infielder is bringing *up* the 1B WAR. pic.twitter.com/aeq2QzDp5e
- Marcell Ozuna finds a new home.
Outfielder Marcell Ozuna and the Atlanta Braves are in agreement on one-year, $18 million contract, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 21, 2020
- Oh wow.
Jim Crane is now being honored as Executive of the Year at the #HoustonSportsAwards.— Alyson Footer (@alysonfooter) January 22, 2020
- These hats are pretty sweet!
BRAND NEW— Harrisburg Senators (@HbgSenators) January 20, 2020
We figured out what George Washington would look like celebrating a Nats World Series win. And we put it on a hat.
Hint: he'd be wearing ski goggles and throwing around champagne!
*Hats are available for pre-order ONLY.
➡️: https://t.co/fGWBPp74nO pic.twitter.com/wYnslnSUII
Barstool Sports created a fake Barstool Sports Union twitter account to “uncover whether any employees supported efforts to unionize“ by soliciting DMs....this is truly insane and outrageous https://t.co/z8RLrlN4DW— ryan sutton (@qualityrye) January 21, 2020