Good morning folks! By now, you’ve no doubt heard about the discipline that Major League Baseball leveled against the Houston Astros for their sign-stealing scandal. If not, John broke that down for us yesterday here. We’ll no doubt be hearing more news surrounding this story as the dominoes continue to fall. With that, here’s what you need to know today.
In Mariners news...
- Congratulations guys!
Congrats to @TheDaveSimsShow and @StoneLarry - named today as the Washington State Sportscaster, and Sportswriter of the Year, respectively, by the @NSMASportsMedia pic.twitter.com/EQZamk83zP— Chris Daniels (@ChrisDaniels5) January 13, 2020
- Spring Training is just around the corner!
Some 2020 dates to remember for the Mariners as February approaches whether we want it to or not. pic.twitter.com/47Tdll2kwZ— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) January 13, 2020
Around the league...
- Some pieces are already starting to move around in lieu of the Astros punishment.
Source: Joe Espada expected to be named interim manager of the Astros during Hinch’s suspension. Espada has been Houston’s bench coach since the start of 2018.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) January 13, 2020
- But we’ll see what happens here.
Secondary to all this, obviously, but A.J. Hinch was to manage the All-Star Game this year ... in Dodger Stadium— Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) January 13, 2020
- In addition to the upcoming investigation into what he did with the Red Sox, Alex Cora finds himself intertwined with what’s going on with the Astros.
Alex Cora's name appears a lot in this MLB report. pic.twitter.com/6pE4vNlRue— JJ Cooper (@jjcoop36) January 13, 2020
- In other news, the Red Sox are reportedly not very concerned about the luxury tax for 2020.
- Oh my god.
What a preposterous suicide squeeze. Small ball is electric. pic.twitter.com/e3Bmj0Vzil— Ben Porter (@Ben13Porter) January 13, 2020
- Eno Sarris at The Athletic provides some thoughts on Statcast’s new defensive metric. ($)
- Carlos Collazo at Baseball America took an early stab at a 2020 MLB mock draft. ($)
- The A’s were busy tinkering with their roster while everyone else was worrying about sign stealing scandals.
Tony Kemp has been traded to the A’s, source says.— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) January 13, 2020
- As were the Tigers.
Ivan Nova gets MLB deal from a Tigers— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 13, 2020