Hello everyone and happy Thursday! For those of you who watched it, I hope you enjoyed the Arkanasas Travelers broadcast on ROOT. Baseball continues today, and we’ve got the links to help.
In Mariners news...
- Perhaps this shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, but...
The Mariners have decided to shut Logan Gilbert down for the season. He won't pitch in the Texas League playoffs. https://t.co/1JaP7LNCao— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) September 4, 2019
- Baseball America talked about just how great Julio Rodríguez really is.
- Some news on a relief prospect.
Right-hander Art Warren threw off the mound. He's on the 7-day IL with a groin strain, but said he's been medically cleared to pitch. He's hoping to pitch in this series. He could also be a Sept. call-up— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) September 4, 2019
Around the league...
- I’ve never seen this before: In the first game of the Carolina League playoffs, Miguelangel Sierra of the Fayetteville Woodpeckers (Astros, High-A) was ruled to have not stepped on home plate during his home run trot and was called out.
Triples: because it's not a homer if ya don't step on home.— Minor League Baseball (@MiLB) September 4, 2019
Watch #Astros prospect Miguelangel Sierra clear the fences for what was called a triple after he hopped over home plate for Fayetteville ➡️ https://t.co/ipZphzs8dR pic.twitter.com/hFUlYjDePa
- It’s been a tough year for two of baseball’s best.
Edwin Diaz and Blake Treinen combined last year:— Jeremy Frank (@MLBRandomStats) September 4, 2019
153.2 IP, 23 ER, 7 HR, 37.7% K, 6.4% BB, 1.35 ERA
Edwin Diaz and Blake Treinen combined this year:
107.1 IP, 62 ER, 22 HR, 29.2% K, 11.3% BB, 5.20 ERA
- Now that Angels GM Billy Eppler has been given a contract extension, it’s time the Angels finally build a contender around Mike Trout, opines Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic. ($)
- What a neat story!
Ken Griffey Jr. homered on a @LaTroyHawkins32 changeup at the Metrodome on this date in 1997. Junior sent for LaTroy and met him between the clubhouses DURING the game and asked why he threw that changeup—he said his fastball was good enough. It changed LaTroy's career. #MNTwins pic.twitter.com/f473sguFYq— The Twins Almanac (@TwinsAlmanac) September 4, 2019
- Top Dodgers prospect Gavin Lux essentially forced his way onto Los Angeles’ roster. Alden Gonzalez at ESPN has the details.
- David Schoenfield at ESPN lists the 25 things he’s looking for in the final days of the regular season.
- Ben Clemens at Fangraphs sees a way for Alex Bregman to unlock a new level of his game.