Hello everyone! The Mariners continue to do battle in Pittsburgh today, and we’ve got the links to cover you until the game gets going.
In Mariners news...
- Attention to all of you sports talk listeners: Brock and Salk will be moving off the airwaves and will instead become a weekly podcast.
- For all of you Sporcle quiz enthusiasts, try your hand at naming every player to appear in a game for the Mariners this year.
Around the league...
- Sponsor patches might be coming to MLB jerseys in the next couple of years, writes Maury Brown at Forbes.
BREAKING NEWS: #Pirates closer Felipe Vazquez arrested, charged with solicitation of a child, providing obscene material to minors.— James Santelli (@JamesSantelli) September 17, 2019
Florida authorities say Vazquez sent a message to a 15-year-old girl suggesting they would meet for sex after the season. https://t.co/HhJTsxGrkw
- Major League Baseball has taken action over the Felipe Vázquez issue.
Pittsburgh Pirates closer Felipe Vazquez is being put on administrative leave by Major League Baseball following his arrest for solicitation of a child, sources tell ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) September 17, 2019
- Behold: The most difficult baseball trivia quiz courtesy of the Los Angeles Times.
- Help out Hunter Pence!
We are all children of mother nature, and children are our future, so let’s do a cool thing together and build a cool schools green learning environment for kids in Texas! Join me at https://t.co/RDSEBeFhKN pic.twitter.com/dUs6Do8ser— Hunter Pence (@hunterpence) September 17, 2019
- After missing almost all of the season due to injury, Giancarlo Stanton might be back just in time for the playoff stretch.
Giancarlo Stanton is flying to New York today, per Aaron Boone. He says "there's a chance" Stanton could be activated tomorrow, and "certainly" Thursday.— Lindsey Adler (@lindseyadler) September 17, 2019
- As one returns, another falls.
Dellin Betances suffered a partial tear of his left Achilles’ tendon, the Yankees announce after the game. He got two opinions. Will be treated conservatively for now, but surgery hasn’t been ruled out. Aaron Boone said it occurred when Betances jumped on the mound on Sunday.— James Wagner (@ByJamesWagner) September 18, 2019
- In his first game at Fenway, no less.
A man named Yastrzemski goes deep at Fenway Park: pic.twitter.com/OsRwH3v1MJ— Alex Pavlovic (@PavlovicNBCS) September 18, 2019
- This is what every competing team dreams of doing to the weak teams in their division.
Assuming Cleveland finishes this win off, they'll be 16-1 against Detroit this year. Good lord.— Mike Petriello (@mike_petriello) September 18, 2019
(They also lost back-to-back games to the Orioles in June by 13-0 apiece. Baseball is weird.)
- In bad news for the Indians, Jason Kipnis is out for the rest of the season after hurting his hamate bone.