It’s time for links!
In Mariners news...
- Graham MacAree thinks back to 18 years ago, when the Mariners were handed a horrendous loss at the hands of the Cleveland Indians.
- Some Tacoma news...
Rainiers roster move:— Mike Curto (@CurtoWorld) August 5, 2019
OF Jake Fraley placed on 7-day IL with a tight quad. Hope is that he will miss the minimum # of games.
OF Billy Cooke drove down from Everett to fill out the roster.
- Brent Stecker at My Sports Northwest argues that this is the first time the Mariners have truly rebuilt during their playoff drought.
- Baseball Prospectus talked about Jarred Kelenic (link) and Evan White (link) in two separate pieces available to subscribers. ($)
- J.P. Crawford credits infield coach Perry Hill with his improvements defensively.
Around the league...
- In case you forgot how good Mike Trout is.
Mike Trout has played in 70% of games as Joey Votto and has produced 129% of his WAR. https://t.co/Dvi3k94xbx— Devan Fink (@DevanFink) August 6, 2019
- Zack Greinke, what a guy.
Zack Greinke was everything you heard he was -- antisocial, awkward and often so honest that it burned.— Zach Buchanan (@ZHBuchanan) August 5, 2019
And his teammates loved him for it: https://t.co/ErnGLSgfkK pic.twitter.com/OMTUBKWbxA
- How can you not love this?
"DID WE JUST HOMER OFF DEGROM?!"@diaz_isan's PUMPED-UP dad was mid-interview when his guy took a Cy Young winner DEEP for his 1st hit in his MLB debut. pic.twitter.com/rOwjYdjr01— Miami Marlins (@Marlins) August 5, 2019
- Rougned Odor personally paid for the visas of the Venezuelan Little League team so they could play in the LLWS.
- The Rangers are looking into an incident in which a fan lobbed anti-Hispanic rhetoric to other fans seated around him.
- Bryan Reynolds of the Pirates has been lucky, but there’s also some underlying skill there, writes Ben Clemens at Fangraphs.
- The Cubs will be without Willson Contreras for around a month due to a hamstring issue.