We’re nearly halfway through August, if you can believe it. September call-ups and playoff races (elsewhere) are within sight, keep hope.
In Mariners news...
- Brandon Brennan is unfortunately returning to the IL, leading to the MLB debut of one of Seattle’s deadline acquisitions: Taylor Guilbeau.
Roster move ... Brennan to the IL and Guilbeau called up pic.twitter.com/RuT0QzzLvg— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) August 15, 2019
- Félix Hernández looked good in his second rehab outing, though he’ll continue to build his arm strength.
T4: Felix Hernandez gives up his first hit, a double to Kelvin Melean. But he strands it with a groundout.— Josh Horton (@JoshHortonEDH) August 15, 2019
His outing is likely done. Add 2 more Ks.
4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 8 K. 51 pitches, 38 strikes.
Saw his fastball as high as 90 mph.
AquaSox 3, Dust Devils 0.
- Unfortunately, it wasn’t all good news, as 2nd round pick LHP Brandon Williamson left that same game with a trainer before the start of the 7th inning. There’s no current update on what the issue was.
- Extending to those who cover the Mariners, Scott Hanson of the Seattle Times talked with Angie Mentink about her time as a pro baseball player with the Colorado Silver Bullets.
- Jarred Kelenic’s family is racking up the frequent flyer miles.
Central Arkansas baseball fans can now head to Dickey-Stephens Park to watch the @Mariners No 1 prospect Jarred Kelenic, who got the call up to Double-A to join the @ARTravs.— Ben Creighton ⚾️ (@Ben_CreightonTV) August 14, 2019
His parents flew in to San Jose to watch him play for Modesto when he learned he was getting promoted pic.twitter.com/7Hsy4htfZx
- FanGraphs has made an update to their board, adding 2019 draftee and INF prospect Austin Shenton to the Mariners list as a 35+ Future Value.
- Julio Rodríguez and Logan Gilbert had standout days Tuesday and got recognized accordingly.
- If you’re familiar with one of the stranger viral videos on the internet, you’ll appreciate, well, this:
They say imitation is the biggest form of flattery and I have been imitated by a moose https://t.co/BvvyXa95hu— Jan Hakon Erichsen (@janerichsen) August 15, 2019
- Oh, and potentially potentially some fun prospect movement?
The Power are at home all weekend... no guarantees but this looks very possibly like Julio Rodríguez could be moving up https://t.co/rHc4MrGAyB— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) August 15, 2019
Around the league...
- After some serious concerns, it appears Astros ace Gerrit Cole merely missed his start with right hamstring discomfort.
- The pitch clock will be universally adopted for the 2020 season and beyond by NCAA Baseball from Division I all the way through Division III. Notably, while it is recommended teams purchase and display the clocks, it is not required. If there are no functioning visible clocks, the umpires will be in charge of taking and maintaining the pitch clock.
- Former Mariners 1B Logan Morrison has been called up by the Philadelphia Phillies after utterly obliterating AAA between the Yankees and Phillies systems. He joins a fleet of former M’s on the roster, including his former teammate Brad Miller, as well as Jean Segura, Mike Morin, Juan Nicasio, Blake Parker, Drew Smyly, Jason Vargas, the injured Jay Bruce, and the in-the-minors Enyel De Los Santos.
- A Fresno man has unfortunately passed away after a taco eating competition at a Fresno Grizzlies (the Nationals AAA-affliate).
- Yasiel Puig was overjoyed to become a United States citizen yesterday.
- Recently recalled Mets INF Ruben Tejada talked about his journey back from the scary collision with Chase Utley at second base back in the playoffs of 2015.
Ruben Tejada says it took him about a year and a half to fully recover from the Chase Utley slide in the 2015 NLDS. He hasn't talked to Utley since that day. pic.twitter.com/bcGpCfLlNQ— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) August 14, 2019
- Clayton Kershaw had a brilliant 10 K performance and tied Sandy Koufax in wins.
- Last night’s 6-5 Yankees win concluded a 17-2 season series in favor of the Yankees, with a 151-83 run differential. It’s been... rough.
MLB All-Time SLG % Leaders:— YES Network (@YESNetwork) August 14, 2019
1) Babe Ruth - .690
2) 2019 Yankees vs. Orioles - .645
3) Ted Williams - .634
4) Lou Gehrig - .632
5) Jimmie Foxx - .609
6) Barry Bonds - .607#YANKSonYES ⚾ #PinstripePride pic.twitter.com/pcdgzkraYq
- The Angels had some yakity sax adventures.
Not exactly crisp baseball. pic.twitter.com/XJL9EYWQ2V— Fabian Ardaya (@FabianArdaya) August 14, 2019
- The Athletics have signed former Mets/Reds/Angels RHP Matt Harvey to a minor league deal.
- Robinson Canó may be on the IL, but he’s still having a good time and sharing it with everyone around.
Robinson Canó is mocking someone else's speed? Freddie Freeman ain't having that. pic.twitter.com/ZRhoVB3H2W— Roger Cormier (@yayroger) August 15, 2019
- Reds rookie Aristides “The Punisher” Aquino is, well, red-hot.
- When a clever coding joke goes very, very wrong.