Good morning everyone! The trade deadline has come and gone, and it was a wild one. Let’s recap everything that you might have missed.
In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic wrote about this year’s Arkansas Travelers team, which is ridiculously talented. ($)
- Here’s what the farm system looks like after yesterday’s deals.
MLB Pipeline has updated its Top 30 for the Mariners after today's trades, adding Taylor Guilbeau at No. 22 and Aaron Fletcher at No. 27. https://t.co/NupkQPR1i0— Editor Joe Veyera (@JoeVeyera) August 1, 2019
Around the league...
- The Astros made the big surprising move of the afternoon, acquiring Zack Greinke from the Diamondbacks for a healthy package of prospects.
- In addition to Greinke, the Astros added pitchers Joe Biagini and Aaron Sánchez from Toronto.
- The Braves made a couple of major deals for relievers, acquiring Shane Greene from the Tigers and Mark Melancon from San Francisco.
- The Cubs managed to snag outfielder Nicholas Castellanos from the Tigers.
- The Rays acquired first baseman Jesús Aguilar from the Brewers.
- Tony Kemp of the Astros and Martín Maldonado of the Cubs swapped places in a deal.
- In addition to acquiring Roenis Elías and Hunter Strickland from the Mariners, the Nationals made a deal for right-hander Daniel Hudson from the Blue Jays.
- Although Madison Bumgarner stayed put, the Giants sent left-hander Drew Pomeranz to the Brewers.
- The A’s got some reinforcements for their rotation by trading for Tanner Roark.
- In a deal that confused many, the Diamondbacks and Marlins swapped top prospects by sending starter Zac Gallen to Arizona for shortstop Jazz Chisholm.
- The Phillies got the outfield bat they needed in Corey Dickerson, who was acquired from the Pirates.
- We had a trade within the AL West with the Angels acquiring catcher Max Stassi from the Astros.
- The Rays and Marlins made a multi-player swap, sending Nick Anderson and Trevor Richards to Tampa for Ryne Stanek and Jesús Sánchez.
- Second baseman Scooter Gennett was sent from the Reds to the Giants.
- Their division rival Dodgers also added some infield help by getting Jedd Gyorko from the Cardinals.
- The Cubs got rid of reliever Carl Edwards, Jr. by sending him to San Diego.
- John Sickels at The Athletic has scouting reports on every prospect traded at the deadline yesterday. ($)
- Phillies reliever David Robertson will miss the rest of the 2019 campaign to undergo and recover from right elbow surgery.
- Former top Mariners prospect Luiz Gohara was designated for assignment by the Braves.
- The Dodgers will promote top pitching prospect Dustin May to make his MLB debut.
- In case you weren’t keeping track...
made a trade at/near the deadline:— Cespedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) July 31, 2019
BOS ❌ (eh, Cashner)
LAA ❌ (Stassi? fine)
NYY ❌ ( )
- With Greinke no longer on the Diamondbacks...
Yasmany Tomas is now the highest-paid Diamondback.— Zach Buchanan (@ZHBuchanan) July 31, 2019
- The Oregon State product could soon find himself in the big leagues.
Sources tell The Athletic that former No. 4 overall pick Nick Madrigal is headed to Triple-A Charlotte— James Fegan (@JRFegan) July 31, 2019
- Really happy to see that Danny has found a role in the Chicago White Sox organization.
Danny Farquhar joins Sox as Minor League pitching coach— Scott Merkin (@scottmerkin) July 31, 2019