Good morning everyone! News will come in a little slower now as we’re at the All-Star Break, but we’ve got plenty of links to hold you over.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners have set up their starting rotation for after the All-Star break.
- The New York Times looked at the Futures Game through the lens of the Mets, who are likely not thrilled that two of the players they traded for Robinson Canó/Edwin Díaz appeared in the contest.
Around the league...
- Congratulations to Pete Alonso on winning yesterday’s Home Run Derby!
- An interesting side story to Alonso winning it all.
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Pete Alonso each will make $555,000 this year.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 9, 2019
One of them will get $1 million tonight for winning the Home Run Derby.
- More fun derby facts.
Here are the players and their relationship to their pitcher.— Davis Lee (@_davislee) July 8, 2019
Vlad - Coach
Pete Alonso - Cousin
Carlos Santana - Coach
Matt Chapman - Dad
Young Joc - Coach
Bregman - Astros Bullpen Catcher
Acuna Jr - Coach
Josh Bell - One of his Best Friends#HRDerby2019
- Despite being in contention, the Indians are listening to offers for right-hander Trevor Bauer.
- The trade market appears to be heating up. The Yankees and Twins are reportedly trying to acquire both Marcus Stroman and Ken Giles from Toronto.
- Molly Knight at The Athletic goes through an interesting exercise, finding players on every MLB team that are responsible for the Dodgers’ postseason woes. Marco Gonzales of the M’s gets a shout out. ($)
- An update on the Jonathan Lucroy and Jake Marisnick collision...yikes.
MEDICAL UPDATE: Lucroy sustained a concussion and a fractured nose. He will see an ENT after the swelling has subsided, post all star break, to address the fracture.— Angels PR (@LAAngelsPR) July 8, 2019
- The USWNT returned home from France and seemed to have had a good time with the travel.