Good morning everyone! Happy Thursday. We’ve got a solid crop of links for you today, so let’s get to it.
In Mariners news...
Jarred Kelenic dealing with a sprained ankle per @Gillogly. He is on the 7-day IL.— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) July 18, 2019
- Corey Brock at The Athletic re-tells the story of Edgar Martinez’s “The Double.” ($)
- Mac is sticking around.
Mac Williamson has cleared waivers and been outrighted to Triple-A Tacoma, so he remains in Mariners' organization after being DFA'd on Monday.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) July 17, 2019
- Jim Duquette at The Athletic ranks his top 10 first base prospects and has the M’s Evan White in the #1 spot. ($)
- This is great news.
Servais says Mitch Haniger has been cleared by doctor to begin slowly doing some activity again, playing catch or hitting off tee, but no timetable on return.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) July 17, 2019
"He still has some issues and is feeling some pain on certain days, so we have to be careful how fast we go with him.:
- Seattle has been receiving trade interest from Domingo Santana and Roenis Elías.
- Logan Gilbert was excellent in his first start for the Travelers yesterday.
Final line Logan Gilbert in his 1st Double-A start:— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) July 18, 2019
5.1IP, 2H, 2R, 2BB, 2HB, 8K, 84 pitches, 53 strikes. Logan tossed 5 no-hit innings before Midland scored twice in the 6th. #Mariners
Around the league...
- This kid is going to go far in life.
- This barely even looks like a curveball.
- Sheesh, this guy is gonna last even if he’s never able to stay healthy on the mound.
Shohei Ohtani has now played 162 games as a hitter in his career.— Jeremy Frank (@MLBRandomStats) July 17, 2019
Here are his stats:
36 home runs
101 RBI, 90 runs
16 stolen bases
He’s also made 10 starts, posting a 3.31 ERA & 11 K/9.
Most talented player in baseball
- Wow, this would be an absolutely huge change in the sport.
NEWS: MLB owners are in support of an international draft and want it in place as soon as possible.— Baseball America (@BaseballAmerica) July 17, 2019
The most recent concept includes a 20-round draft, draft pick trading and a hard slot value.
Via @BenBadler: https://t.co/bTp10Hn5Ul
- Terrance Gore will get to show off his speed in the playoffs once again.
The Yankees have acquired OF Terrance Gore from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for cash considerations. He is not on the Yankees’ 40-man roster, and will report to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.— Yankees PR Dept. (@YankeesPR) July 17, 2019
- Rockies right-hander Seunghwan Oh will undergo season-ending elbow surgery.
- The Padres, still searching for their franchise’s first-ever no-hitter, nearly got one from Chris Paddack last night.
- If you didn’t already love Damian Lillard...