Let’s start this long weekend right. Catch up on news and notes from around the league.
In Mariners News...
- Here’s a report on Logan Gilbert from Baseball Prospectus ($).
- Kyle Seager is anxious to get back to work for the M’s ($).
- The Mariners are tied for second in most balls hit 400+ feet.
Most #barrels hit by team— David Adler (@_dadler) May 24, 2019
1. Twins: 150
2. Braves: 130
Most balls hit 400+ feet by team
1. Twins: 58
2-T. Braves/Cubs/Mariners: 48
Most balls hit 100+ mph by team
1. Twins: 359
2. Red Sox: 344
- Similarly, the Mariners have been hit pretty hard.
Most #barrels allowed by team P— David Adler (@_dadler) May 24, 2019
1. Orioles: 148
2. Mariners: 128
Most 400+ foot batted balls allowed
1. Orioles: 65
2. Rockies: 59 (#Coors)
Most 100+ mph batted balls allowed
1. Orioles: 371
2. Mariners: 346 https://t.co/2I5njg2wcZ
- The Mariners released minor league reliever Tyler Danish.
- Julio Rodriguez posted a video of him hitting off a tee.
- Ryan Garton was outrighted to Tacoma.
The #Mariners have outrighted RHP Ryan Garton to AAA Tacoma. Garton was designated for assignment on May 21.— MarinersPR (@MarinersPR) May 24, 2019
- The Mariners left 15 runners on base yesterday, which is nearly a club record.
Around the League...
- The Padres called up Josh Naylor, who will make his MLB debut one town away from where he grew up.
Sources: The Padres are calling up Josh Naylor. He is a Mississauga native who will make his major-league debut in neighboring Toronto.— Dennis Lin (@dennistlin) May 24, 2019
- The Blue Jays added another Hall of Famer’s son to their roster.
- Andrew Cashner is an intriguing trade candidate at the deadline, but there are potential complications to the deal ($).
- MLB Pipeline posted another mock draft.
- Here’s a team-by-team draft cost of signing Dallas Keuchel or Craig Kimbrell.
- Here is the Hall of Fame Classic lineup card.
- Former Mariner Zack Littell was called up by the Twins.
#MNTwins recall No. 21 prospect Zack Littell from Triple-A @RocRedWings. Here's the scouting report on the 23-year-old right-hander, who was acquired by the @Twins from the #Yankees in 2017: https://t.co/ysoRtduS0p pic.twitter.com/jomwz3i3dn— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) May 24, 2019
- Matt Kemp is joining the Mets on a minor league deal.
Another outfield addition for the Mets: Matt Kemp is joining them on a minor league contract, a source confirming @Ken_Rosenthal's report.— Tim Healey (@timbhealey) May 24, 2019
The deal is pending a physical.
Kemp, 34, had a .200/.210/.283 slash line in 20 games for the Reds, who released him May 4.
- It sounds like George Springer is headed to the IL.
AJ Hinch asked what it was like to have George Springer back. He left with a left hamstring injury: "It was good but he's not gonna be back very long..I'm not looking forward to the diagnosis to be honest" On if George is headed to the IL AJ says "it's likely" but he's not sure" pic.twitter.com/3bItouKLyw— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) May 25, 2019
- The Twins are on pace for 327 homers.
- Breanna Stewart will be paid as an ambassador for WNBA while she’s not on the Storm’s roster.