Hello everyone! It’s been a tough few days for the Mariners, so we’re just going to wash those ones away and look forward to this coming series with Cleveland. Here are some stories to get your day going.
In Mariners news...
Through Friday, the Mariners led the AL West at 18-11. Since then they have lost by 14, 13, 1 and 11.— Stats By STATS (@StatsBySTATS) May 2, 2019
Seattle is the first team to lose 4 straight games, 3 of them by more than 10 runs, since the 1890 Philadelphia A's, an American Association team in its final week of existence.
- Baseball America notes that the Mariners are poised to make history with their poor defense.
- Logan Gilbert is moving up quickly.
RHP Logan Gilbert has been promoted from A West Virginia to High-A Modesto and will make his Nuts debut Thursday, May 2 vs. Lancaster. Make sure to check out what else is going on with the #Mariners prospects in today's Minor League Report:https://t.co/iIMvgnI9HQ— Kelly Munro (@kmunro1) May 1, 2019
- And we’ve got a minor signing.
Mariners sign OF J.R. Davis to a minor league deal. 2016 15th round selection by the Cardinals.— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) May 1, 2019
- And another one.
Mariners sign pitcher Natanael Garabito & assign him to the DSL Mariners. pic.twitter.com/ZRB8YUMFEm— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) May 1, 2019
- This is neat.
On Cinco de Mayo, we'll celebrate Latin culture in Tacoma and around the globe. Join us as La Familia de Tacoma takes the field for the first of five Copa de la Diversión games, presented by @LunazulTequila. #SomosTacoma pic.twitter.com/F86nLAaU28— Tacoma Rainiers (@RainiersLand) April 30, 2019
Around the league...
- Congrats, Jeff!
- This came dangerously close to hitting Kirby Yates.
Francisco Mejía's throw to catch Charlie Culberson stealing in the 9th was completely insane and I can't stop watching itpic.twitter.com/hhGYfnqkYB— Cespedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) May 1, 2019
- Another top prospect is on his way!
The Cincinnati #Reds have told Nick Senzel that he's being called up to the Major Leagues.— Doug Gray (@dougdirt24) May 1, 2019
- And the A’s have called up one of their own.
Skye Bolt will be called up by the A’s. Switch-hitting outfielder batting .325/.400/.675 with 6 HR and 27 RBIs at Triple-A Las Vegas. Has taken off since making adjustments to his swing a couple years ago.— Martín Gallegos (@MartinJGallegos) May 2, 2019
- It wasn’t looking good in the first day of a double-header in Kansas City.
I know that it's a Wednesday afternoon during the school year in a city that doesn't draw well against a team that doesn't attract a road crowd. But I've never seen so few people at a major league game as the one just starting now between Kansas City and Tampa Bay. pic.twitter.com/z3QUdfdWiT— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) May 1, 2019
- You’ve got to see this.
You may have heard that at @stocktonports games this year, fans can pick walk-up music for the opposing team. So how’s that working out?— Josh Jackson (@JoshJacksonMiLB) May 1, 2019
Um, mostly excellently. Sometimes awkwardly. Always hilariously. https://t.co/WFrh8KFcLe pic.twitter.com/tFEQdNhNYZ
- The Red Sox have banned the popular game “Fortnite” in the clubhouse.
- I’m not sure we understand just how great Cody Bellinger was this April.
- José Leclerc has lost his job as closer for the Rangers.
- A.J. Pollock will undergo elbow surgery.
- Corey Kluber was diagnosed with a forearm fracture after getting smoked by a line drive yesterday.
- Ben Clemens at Fangraphs notes that it has been a special year offensively for shortstops.
- The rivalry begins.
- I wish I watched the NBA more because this show is something else.