It’s rare for good things to come out of 14-run losses; however, the M’s losing 18-4 gave us an opportunity to see Tom Murphy pitch for the second time this year. He recorded two strikeouts in a scoreless inning. According to FanGraphs, Tom Murphy has a 2.61 FIP. Way to go, Tom.
Tom Murphy's a catcher, but don't let that fool you.— MLB (@MLB) May 19, 2019
He's filthy. pic.twitter.com/889BAp2ufT
Here are some other stories from around baseball.
In Mariners News...
- The Mariners were almost a part of a blockbuster trade that would have moved Mark Langston to the Mets in the 80s.
Just found out that the Mets had a deal in place to trade Sid Fernandez, Howard Johnson, Kevin Tapani, and David West to the Mariners in 1989 for Mark Langston, but were talked out of it by Davey Johnson. Later that season, they'd trade for Frank Viola instead. Wild.— Mike Bates (@MikeBatesSBN) May 17, 2019
- Can you say multi-sport athlete?
Zac Grotz: owns a 13.30 K/9 at Arkansas with an ERA of 1.17/FIP of 2.19 with a 60% GB rate.— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) May 18, 2019
Also Zac Grotz: TRAVELERS DUNK CONTEST CHAMP pic.twitter.com/l79G8yaizZ
- Felix and a WWII veteran took a picture together.
Two legends: The King and WWII vet Burke Waldron pic.twitter.com/dzCRvPQbgi— Gregg Greene (@RealGregg) May 19, 2019
Around the League...
- How about them Ducks?
Spotted this guy on the train in Tokyo. Asked, “How ‘bout dem O’s?”— Ryan Dorsey (@ElectRyanDorsey) May 18, 2019
Very dryly he responded in a German accent, “Oh. I see. It’s because of the, uh [points at hat]. I just like the duck. I think it’s cool.” pic.twitter.com/9k0LR62jFj
- Mike Trout became the sixth player in AL history to hit 250 homers before turning 28.
- If you factor in steals, Mike Trout is in even more exclusive company.
- The Twins have now hit five or more home runs in five games this season.
- Joe Maddon protested the Cubs’ loss to the Nationals because of Sean Doolittle’s toe-tap in his delivery.
- The Astros are just the third team to have two 10-plus game winning streaks before June.
- Masahiro Tanaka was injured when a liner hit his leg and bounced right to his first baseman.
- Brooks Koepka has a seven-stroke lead heading into the final round of the PGA Championship.