The Mariners took a thriller against the A’s last night thanks largely to a mammoth effort from Daniel Vogelbach, who brought the Mariners within a competitive distance with one swing of the bat after the offense struggled to get anything going. The Mariners will look to do more damage against Brett Anderson, who is walking almost as many batters as he strikes out but is also parsimonious where home runs are concerned, which has been the main thing powering the Mariners offense—every run scored in last night’s game except the winning one was scored via the longball.
Mariners-A's lineups, 7:10 p.m. PT series finale at T-Mobile Park. Dee Gordon again not in lineup due to sore wrist. pic.twitter.com/ymjWHtCU3E— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) May 14, 2019
Some injury news updates:
- Felix Hernandez will be out 4-6 weeks with a strained lat (initially diagnosed as a strained shoulder, it’s actually the lat muscle behind the shoulder that’s troublesome). It’s a Grade 1 strain, so not as bad as Hunter Strickland’s and more in line with how long Wade LeBlanc has been on the shelf.
- Speaking of LeBlanc, he made a rehab outing yesterday with Tacoma. He went 4.1 innings with two Ks and no walks, allowing one run on three hits, and should be ready to rejoin the team this weekend.
- Kyle Seager is also rehabbing with the Rainiers; in his first game, a thriller today Tacoma won 7-6, he had a double, a walk, and a strikeout.
- Dee Gordon made a pinch-running appearance in last night’s game and will likely be available to start this weekend after Wednesday’s off-day.
- Gerson Bautista and Sam Tuivailala continue to rehab for the Modesto Nuts. Bautista has struck out four in three innings with two walks and has allowed two runs; command has never been Bautista’s strength, but he is struggling with his slider, which is usually a pitch he has better command over. Tuivailala has also struck out four in four innings with one walk and one run allowed. His velocity has looked good and he should be ready to rejoin the team in less than two weeks.
Game time: 7:10 PM
Available on: ROOTNW, 710 ESPN, MLB.tv out-of-market