Good morning everybody! Today’s Mariners game was unfortunately postponed, which means we’ve got two days in a row without M’s baseball. Fortunately, baseball news continues on.
In Mariners news...
- So cool.
I also learned pregame as @DanielVogelbach hung out with @yuseik18 that he has learned two v. important 日本語 phrases: "sumimasen" (excuse me/sorry) and....... "baka" (stupid/idiot) pic.twitter.com/kuK81qFhBi— Lindsey Wasson (@lindseywasson) April 3, 2019
- It’s Opening Day in the minors, and here’s some news on a guy we’ll be keeping a close eye on this season.
Manager Daren Brown says Erik Swanson is in line to be the Rainiers opening day starter on Thursday @RiverCats— Mike Curto (@CurtoWorld) April 3, 2019
- If you’d like to learn more about some of the younger M’s prospects, check it out!
We know you cannot wait for baseball to come back tomorrow, but while you do, take a listen and subscribe to our brand new podcast, Expanding The Grid!— West Virginia Power (@wv_power) April 3, 2019
.@RodBToast joins us on the inaugural episode to talk all things Toastman! #PowerUpTheToaster
LISTEN: https://t.co/tKskePZ9KR pic.twitter.com/dzSdt0bm2P
- Well there’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time.
Marco Gonzales is the first starter with three wins in his team’s first eight games of the season since Victor Zambrano in 2004.— Jeremy Frank (@MLBRandomStats) April 3, 2019
- Rian Watt at Fangraphs breaks down the emergence of Tim Beckham.
- Jay Yencich at U.S.S. Mariner previews the season for each of the Mariners’ minor league affiliates (Rainiers link, Travelers link, Nuts link, Power link).
Around the league...
- Nationals shortstop Trea Turner was diagnosed with a broken finger after being hit by a pitch.
- This is a major development.
Sources: MLB sent clubs a memo today w/a list of Cuban players eligible to be signed in the 2019 int'l bonus pools. MLB is working on creating events for clubs to scout the players, who would be signed in a posting system where the Cuban gov't gets a cut: https://t.co/SU22QOp8GZ— Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) April 3, 2019
- Dale Murphy at The Athletic notes that minor leaguers are actually making less than they did 40 years ago. ($)
- The Triple-A leagues will be using the official MLB ball this season.
- Tulo just can’t seem to shake the injury bug.
Troy Tulowitzki has a low grade strain in the left calf. "So that will almost certainly be an IL," Aaron Boone says.— Lindsey Adler (@lindseyadler) April 3, 2019
- This one is...odd.
Theo Epstein announces that David Bote has signed a contract extension with the Cubs through 2024 plus two club options.— Patrick Mooney (@PJ_Mooney) April 3, 2019
- Former Braves manager Bobby Cox is in the hospital following an apparent stroke.
- Eric Longenhagen at Fangraphs talks about where the Rockies stand in the long term with Germán Márquez in tow for the foreseeable future.
- Jacob deGrom had a hell of a game for the Mets, homering and fanning 14 batters in a win over the Marlins.