Hello everybody and happy Wednesday! It’s another great day for baseball, so let’s get to it.
In Mariners news...
- Jay Bruce is quickly making a name for himself in Seattle.
Jay Bruce: First Mariners cleanup hitter NOT named Nelson Cruz to homer in 3 straight games since Mike Morse, Apr 2-4 2013.— Doug Kern (@dakern74) April 2, 2019
- Sung Min Kim at Fangraphs dives into Yusei Kikuchi’s first pair of starts in a Seattle uniform.
Around the league...
- This was to be expected.
- Fernando Rodney has appeared in six fewer games than Cy Young! Who knew?
- This guy again.
- Yankees third baseman Miguel Andújar hit the injured list with a labrum tear. While season ending surgery is a possibility, he and the Yanks are optimistic he won’t need it.
- For all of you Marvel fans out there...
Marvel is collaborating with NPB to sell special merchandise to commemorate the upcoming 'Avengers: Endgame'. The merchandise, including tshirts, will go on sale at the end of April https://t.co/hl1TdRzai2 #npb— NPB on reddit (@NPB_Reddit) April 2, 2019
- The legend.
- Teams really are making trades earlier and earlier each season.
- OK this is getting absurd.
BREAKING: Outfielder Ronald Acuña and the Atlanta Braves are finalizing an eight-year, $100 million contract extension, league sources tell ESPN. The deal includes two club options.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) April 2, 2019
- And another one.
Starter Germán Márquez and the Colorado Rockies are in agreement on a five-year, $43M contract extension, pending a physical, league sources with knowledge of the deal tell ESPN. It includes a club option that can vest into a mutual option if he has two top-3 Cy Young finishes.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) April 2, 2019
- They just keep coming.
- Meanwhile, in Anaheim...
Andrew Heaney’s CT scan revealed chronic changes to the elbow. He will undergo a cortisone injection to help calm the elbow down. He will be cleared to resume his throwing program in approximately 7-10 days.— Angels PR (@LAAngelsPR) April 2, 2019