For most MLB teams, Opening Day is in four days.
Been there, done that. Our Mariners have two games (and two wins, might I add) under their belts. It’s nice being so far ahead of the rest of the league, isn’t it? Also, it’s nice to have a collection of links to read through on a Sunday morning.
In Mariners News...
- The Mariners parted ways with 12 minor leaguers.
Mariners release 12 minor leaguers. pic.twitter.com/0opaaHP666— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) March 23, 2019
- The Mariners have set their 25 man roster. Read John’s thoughts on the roster moves here.
Mariners option OF Braden Bishop and reliever Dan Altavilla to Tacoma. Along with Ichiro’s retirement, that sets roster at final 25.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) March 23, 2019
- Octavio Hernandez Pernia joined forces with Ramon Hernandez to build the best Latin American pitcher ever. Two Mariners are mentioned.
- Read more about Dan Altavilla and his path from D-II baseball to the bigs.
- June 1st will be Gonzaga Night at T-Mobile Park.
Zags fans, settling in to watch the crew vie for yet another appearance in the Sweet 16?— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) March 23, 2019
Pass the time by saving your spot at our Gonzaga Night Ticket Special.
️ https://t.co/kBo2VpJcng pic.twitter.com/GZO1ziVkt7
- This article compares the catcher defense of Mike Zunino to Omar Narvaez.
- The Mariners kept Ichiro’s retirement intentions quiet for a while.
It appears Ichiro's retirement decision was not just sprung upon the #Mariners in Japan. Asked when he knew, Servais paused and said, "For a little while. We did a good job keeping it quiet and being respectful of him and his wishes. I knew for awhile."— Larry Stone (@StoneLarry) March 23, 2019
- Watch for Ryan Rowland-Smith on Monday morning.
What are you up to Monday morning?— Ryan Rowland-Smith (@hyphen18) March 24, 2019
I’ll be joining @_MargaretLarson on @NewDayNW giving my take on what @Mariners to keep an eye on this season.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and see you Monday! pic.twitter.com/jRhCFNpgQ0
Around the League...
- Former Ranger Carlos Gonzalez was among several players that were cut by the Rays yesterday.
Additional cuts: Rajai Davis, Adeiny Hechavarria, Carlos Gomez and Devin Mesoraco.— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) March 23, 2019
- Jason Hammel went out on top.
The day after winning a roster spot, Jason Hammel has retired.— Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) March 23, 2019
- Scooter Gennett will spend a couple months on the injured list.
- The Cubs sent Ian Happ to the minors. Happ has hit 39 home runs in 257 games since the start of 2017.
Joe Maddon said Ian Happ must accept going to the minors and embrace improving his overall game . “ Right now he doesn’t like any of us and I get it “— Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) March 23, 2019
- The Huskies take on North Carolina at 11:45 AM PT.
- UW’s Kaiser Weiss made an unbelievable catch to help the Dawgs win their second consecutive series to start PAC-12 play.