Good morning everybody! By the time you’re reading this, you’ll already know the result of the first Mariners game of the season! I do not know it, as I am writing this before the game has started (sorry everyone). I hope it was enjoyable, or this will serve as a sad reminder of what could have been. Anyway, here’s what else is going on in Baseball Land.
In Mariners news...
- Back in Peoria...
- Here’s how things line up now.
After today’s moves, here’s the Mariners’ Opening Day roster. pic.twitter.com/4yjI9nvc4u— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) March 19, 2019
- The AquaSox are renaming their ballpark “Funko Field.”
- Marc W at U.S.S. Mariner takes a positive outlook on this season.
Around the league...
- In case you somehow missed it, this is pretty big news.
BREAKING: Star center fielder Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels are finalizing a record-breaking 12-year contract worth more than $430 million, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN. Details: https://t.co/bROnnC11Uh— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 19, 2019
- Craig Edwards at Fangraphs broke down the rumored mega-extension for Mike Trout.
- I’m glad Nori is still being appreciated.
- So I guess this will become a new avenue for players who would usually get September call-ups. The league will also now be run by Bill Bavasi, which is...something.
1/Two big changes coming to Az Fall League: Season will begin 9/17 end 10/27 to allow players to go directly from minor league season with no lag time. Also, clubs can elect any player under contract to participate in the AFL.— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) March 19, 2019
- The Astros are getting in on the extension game too.
- Alden Gonzalez at ESPN wonders where we’ll find the next Shohei Ohtani.
- Michael Fulmer, a popular breakout pick this year with the Tigers, will undergo Tommy John surgery and miss all of 2019.
- Here’s a cute puppy video you should watch.