Hello everyone and happy Wednesday! I hope you’re all having a great week so far. Here’s what we’ve got for you today.
In Mariners news...
- Womp womp.
The Mariners have released Dustin Ackley.— Corey Brock (@CoreyBrockMLB) March 12, 2019
- With Kyle Seager out for a month, the Mariners roster seems to be in place for Opening Day, writes Corey Brock at The Athletic. ($)
- Ken Rosenthal, also at The Athletic, wonders what the M’s will do with Ichiro after Japan. ($)
- A couple of crafty lefties will still find a way to get their innings in.
With game vs. White Sox rained out today, Mariners will pitch Yusei Kikuchi and Wade LeBlanc in an intrasquad game tomorrow at Peoria Complex at 1 p.m., prior to Marco Gonzales throwing Cactus League finale tomorrow night at 6:40 vs. Giants.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) March 12, 2019
- And here’s a couple of injury updates.
Gerson Bautista has a grade one strain of his right pec and will not be going to Japan with the club. Mallex Smith who has progressed to hitting on the field will stay behind as well.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) March 12, 2019
- Here are some fun facts on Mallex Smith.
"Is a snack?" Oh you know it.— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) March 13, 2019
Get to know new center fielder Mallex Smith. pic.twitter.com/GtlTIZ7Jqz
Around the league...
- These are always so fascinating to look at.
- It may be a little late to talk trades, but that hasn’t stopped Dan Szymborski, who offered a few potential moves that teams could make.
Astros pitcher Francis Martes, who’s rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, was suspended 80 games without pay by MLB after testing positive for Clomiphene, a performance-enhancing substance.— Jake Kaplan (@jakemkaplan) March 12, 2019
- Only in Texas.
The Texas Rangers are selling something called The Fowl Pole this season.— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) March 11, 2019
It's a single, 2 pound, breaded chicken tender that comes on a bed of waffle fries with ranch & honey dipping sauces.
It comes in its own carrying case. pic.twitter.com/5IHETUpoNz
- If you’re an NFL fan, you’ve probably heard about this already. But wow.
Here are the trade terms: Giants recieve a first-round pick in 2019 (No. 17 overall), the Browns' second third-round pick this year and S Jabril Peppers, source tells ESPN. Browns get Odell Beckham Jr.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 13, 2019
- And just as I scheduled to post this, another bomb dropped.