Hello everybody! We had our first big transaction news of the new year yesterday, so maybe we can expect the dominoes to start falling soon. Here’s what all you need to know on this Friday.
In Mariners news...
- Greg Johns answers another round of fan questions, including whether or not Justus Sheffield will crack the big-league staff.
Around the league...
- In case you missed the biggest news from New York yesterday...
BREAKING: Zach Britton will now be going by Zack. It's Zack Britton now.— James Smyth (@JamesSmyth621) February 7, 2019
- Drop ‘em below, folks!
Your minor league baseball team name is this:— Full Press MLB (@FPC_MLB) February 6, 2019
Biggest city that starts with first letter of your first name
The closest thing to your right
First animal that comes to mind that starts with first letter of your last name
- The Kyler Murray saga continues...can’t say I’m surprised by this.
Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray has decided to attend the NFL combine.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 7, 2019
- Hall of Famer Frank Robinson passed away yesterday. Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic talked about his fondest memories of the man. ($)
- Major League Baseball has changed the name of the “disabled list” to the “injured list.”
- It finally happened.
#Phillies have acquired catcher J.T. Realmuto from the Miami Marlins in exchange for catcher Jorge Alfaro, RHP Sixto Sánchez, LHP Will Stewart and international bonus pool money.— Philadelphia Phillies (@Phillies) February 7, 2019
Welcome to Philadelphia, @JTRealmuto! pic.twitter.com/5aTuQSdJ9t
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs breaks down the two sides of the Realmuto deal.
- The Orioles have agreed to a deal with former Mariner Nate Karns.
- Well, you can kiss your universal designated hitter dreams goodbye for now.
Early word is that the big new proposed rules changes — DH in the NL, 3-batter minimum — are very unlikely to be implemented anytime soon.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 7, 2019
- Travis Sawchik at FiveThirtyEight has some ideas for reviving MLB free agency.
- The Huskies won again! They’re now a perfect 10-0 in conference play.
- Russell Wilson and Alex Rodriguez are planning to open a line of yoga studios together in the Seattle area.