The thought of putting on shorts and a t-shirt and going for a run outside may not sound like fun right now as we wait for Snowpocalypse 2019 to descend upon the Greater Seattle-Tacoma area and beyond. Yet, whether we want it to or not, eventually the snow will recede and the sun will shine again. And when it does, I can think of no better place to go for a run or a walk or an amble than Safeco, errr, T-Mobile Park.
Registration is open now for the 2019 Refuse to Abuse 5K and we would love for you to join our team and spend a Saturday morning traipsing around a baseball stadium with us. The course begins outside next to the parking garage and winds around the stadium, in through the right field gate, around the 100 level concourse, working its way up to the 300-level and then back down to ground level. The race finishes on the field. After a quick run through the service tunnel, you go through the groundskeepers tunnel in center field and out on to the warning track, finishing in front of the left field score board. The whole course is fun, but it’s that last little bit that makes it a very fun race.
Not a runner? That is just fine! Many participants walk all of or part of the course. Walking will give you more time to appreciate the details of the stadium you may miss on game days anyway. Still not convinced? We’d love if you could donate via our team page. The race benefits the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence, the group that has partnered with the Mariners for their longtime Refuse to Abuse campaign. Either participating in the race, or donating (or both for extra points!) will help out a wonderful organization.
Important Note: This race is taking place during the Hall of Fame Weekend. I know many of you readers and many Lookout Landing staffers will be in Cooperstown along with Edgar Martinez. This race gives those of us not making the trek to upstate New York a chance to gather together and celebrate Edgar.
- July 20th, 2019 at 9:00 AM
- Early Bird registration is open now through June 20th for $40, from June 21st-July17th the race is $45
- Join the Lookout Landing Team by selecting us from the drop down of teams when you register
- This sells out, so register early to save a few dollars and assure your spot!
- Your registration includes participation in the race, a technical race t-shirt, a swag bag, and a finisher’s medal you can show off to your friends and coworkers and tell them you won.
- The Mariners are in town the day of the race and there will be discount tickets available for event participants to that evening’s game against the Los Angeles Angels.
- Parking is free in the T-Mobile Park garage
- Kids are welcome (and strollers are allowed on course this year), however you’ll have to wait for the next Bark in the Park night to let your dog run around T-Mobile Park.
- Need more details? I’ll answer any questions you may have, or you can visit the Refuse to Abuse 5K site for more information.
We hope to see you there!