Hello everybody and happy Friday! Baseball kind of happened yesterday, until it didn’t. But it’s a start! There will be much more to come. Until then, we’ve got the stories you need to keep you covered.
In Mariners news...
- Ryan Divish profiled Braden Bishop, who is making his presence felt at M’s spring training.
- Corey Brock at The Athletic checked in on Yusei Kikuchi’s progress at Mariners camp. ($)
- We’ve got a health update on a pair of outfielders.
Ichiro (bruised foot) and Kyle Lewis (dislocated pinkie finger) each had x-rays yesterday, but Servais says both are fine. Lewis probably won't swing a bat for a few days, but with rainy weather, he won't miss much.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) February 21, 2019
- Dustin Ackley is in better spirits this time around with Seattle. Larry Stone has the story.
- It must be feature season for the beat writers. Shannon Drayer takes a look at some changes Ryon Healy made this offseason.
Around the league...
- Rest in peace, Nick Cafardo. The former baseball columnist for the Boston Globe passed away yesterday at the age of 62.
- Does this count as a best-shape-of-his-life story?
This offseason Tommy Kahnle kicked his Red Bull habit. He says he was drinking up to five Red Bull's a day for the last five or six years (plus two coffees). Now it's one coffee a day and that's all.— Lindsey Adler (@lindseyadler) February 21, 2019
- Well, things are still looking uncertain for Bryce Harper.
The Nats’ $300 million offer to Harper at the end of the regular season included roughly $100 million in deferred money.— Jamal Collier (@JamalCollier) February 21, 2019
Why it would take a pretty major shift in direction for them to reunite with Harper now: Story with @Feinsand and @ToddZolecki : https://t.co/8x9CTSFj7r
- A former Mariner has found a home (at least temporarily).
The Giants have added pitcher Nick Vincent to big league camp.— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) February 21, 2019
- Travis Sawchik says that foul balls are a major pace-of-play issue even though nobody has really talked about it yet.
- Good news for all of you who like two-way players (and who doesn’t?)
Lorenzen to both pitch and play CF for Reds this spring https://t.co/xlhFVdogrX— Rotoworld Baseball (@Rotoworld_BB) February 21, 2019
- Former Mariner Ryan Feierabend is attempting to make a comeback as a knuckleballer.
- There’s a near-guarantee that Mike Trout will be underpaid whenever his payday comes, writes Jeff Sullivan.
- For all of you college basketball fans out there...do not fear.
NEWS: Zion Williamson was diagnosed with a Grade 1 right knee sprain. He is progressing as expected, and his status is day-to-day. pic.twitter.com/H8YUZGnOyc— Duke Basketball (@DukeMBB) February 21, 2019