Hello everybody! We’ve finally got a major signing on our hands, which hopefully means more will follow. Let’s get to it.
In Mariners news...
- Ichiro means business this year.
Why does it feel like Ichiro is about to take our lunch money? pic.twitter.com/BiYD2FpA7g— Cut4 (@Cut4) February 19, 2019
- Another pitcher speaks out against the opener, but this one might be a problem.
BREAKING:— Chuck and Buck live from Spring Training (@SportsRadioKJR) February 19, 2019
Felix Hernandez on with Chuck and Buck says he would NOT be willing to come into the game starting in the second inning if the team wants to go to the 'Opener' strategy.
- The spring training fun continues.
- And we’ve got some more live BP.
- Yusei Kikuchi has quite the deceptive delivery.
- Kyle Seager changed some things up this offseason.
- Here’s how the Mariners line up for the first few games.
Marco Gonzales will start Thursday’s Cactus League opener vs A’s and Justus Sheffield will also throw. Both slated for 2 innings, followed by relievers.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) February 19, 2019
Mike Leake will start on Friday and Felix Hernandez will start on Saturday. Yusei Kikuchi will throw two live BP sessions before pitching a Cactus League game. He’s throwing the first one today.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 19, 2019
- This would certainly give the M’s some security at catcher.
Mariners are among teams interested in Martin Maldonado, one of many major league free agents still out there— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 20, 2019
Around the league...
- In case you somehow missed it...
BREAKING: Manny Machado has agreed to terms on a deal with the Padres. According to a league source, it’s for 10 years and $300 million - the biggest free-agent contract in the history of American sports.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) February 19, 2019
- Eric Stephen believes that Manny Machado is the perfect fit for San Diego.
- Mark Feinsand now wonders how Machado’s signing could impact other free agents.
- The Dodgers should be wary of the up-and-coming Padres, notes Ben Lindbergh at The Ringer.
- The Padres might not be done now.
Padres are pulling off one surprise (once Manny’s finalized) but here’s another shocker : they aren’t ruling out Bryce Harper, too. 110M payroll (with MM) is still lower than most.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 19, 2019
- The White Sox were right there until the end.
- Jeff Sullivan provides his take on the Machado signing.
- In non-Machado news...
A’s announce that @Coco_Crisp will join the radio booth as an analyst for 33 games this year.— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) February 19, 2019
- This kid’s got a good sense of humor.
#Reds prospect Taylor Trammell turned out be our longest interview of spring training. Engaging, anecdotal and fun.— Joe Danneman (@FOX19Joe) February 19, 2019
He finished the interview with the never ending battle to get his last name pronounced correctly.
People asked if he's related to Alan Trammell. Seriously. pic.twitter.com/ICYFvFLSyR
- Major League Baseball is going to set some rules that attempt to discourage sign stealing.
- Jayson Jenks at The Athletic spent a day with college basketball announcers Dave Pasch and Bill Walton and chronicled his experience ($)