Good morning everybody! We’re back to Monday, but the good news is that spring training games begin this week! Here are some stories to get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- An interesting matchup, to be sure.
Gerson Bautista throwing live to Dustin Ackley. pic.twitter.com/oLTnQTr2sw— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 17, 2019
- The Mariners are considering turning their best infield prospect into an outfielder because...I’m not sure, actually.
Don't be at all surprised if you see Shed Long playing in the outfield in spring games for the Mariners (first game is Thursday, BTW).— Corey Brock (@CoreyBrockMLB) February 17, 2019
If he can handle the corners, that fits well with his INF profile and adds even more versatility. Org really likes his bat.
- It seems that Robbie Canó is still happy he came to Seattle, contrary to what I’m sure national media will tell you this season.
Robinson Cano on signing with the Mariners five years ago: "I have no regrets. I had a great five years there."— Tim Healey (@timbhealey) February 17, 2019
- Ryan Divish did a neat feature on Mariners prospect Evan White, who is not only a great defender but is also a very nice guy.
Around the league...
- Are we starting to get into the home stretch on these two?
Bryce Harper, who has been waiting for someone to meet his price, appears to have found that team in the #Phillies. There is no deal yet but he will ultimately receive more than the 10-year, $300 million contract he turned down from the #Nats in September.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) February 17, 2019
The #Padres’ offer to Manny Machado is an 8-year deal worth at least $240 million,with money deferred, rival GMs have been informed this weekend. Still unknown whether he wants to go to SD.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) February 18, 2019
- The Padres in particular are doubling down; they’ve offered major contracts to both Bryce Harper and Manny Machado.
- Important former Mariner news...
important back number alert:— Sung Min Kim (@sung_minkim) February 17, 2019
Jabari Blash is wearing 69 with the Rakuten Golden Eagles. #NPB pic.twitter.com/GaE3jO6jPf
Mark Reynolds, who just signed with the #Rockies a few days before camp, told a free-agent tale today I’ve heard a lot. Got no offers for weeks. Then was playing golf a couple of weeks ago, got a call from his agent and had 4 teams offering minor league deals on the same day.— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) February 17, 2019
- There’s one of the last major free agents off the board.
Free agent third baseman Mike Moustakas is headed back to the Milwaukee Brewers on a one-year deal in the $9M+ range, a league source tells ESPN. @Ken_Rosenthal had the agreement first.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) February 17, 2019
- If you missed last night’s NBA All-Star Game, here’s the one play you’ve got to see.
STEPH BOUNCE PASS TO A GIANNIS DUNK #NBAAllStar pic.twitter.com/NXiKqf7hLj— SB Nation (@SBNation) February 18, 2019