I was shocked to learn today that Electric Avenue never reached the number one on the Billboard 100. That inspired me to look up the top songs from that year. I challenge anybody to find a more elite list of songs than this year-end top 100 songs from 1983. Also, check out these updates from around the league.
In Mariners News...
- Mallex Smith’s elbow ailment is muscle related.
Sounds like Mallex Smith (sore right elbow) won’t throw for a couple of weeks, according to Scott Servais.— Corey Brock (@CoreyBrockMLB) February 16, 2019
Not a ligament issue, more muscle.
- Smith mentioned that he may have overworked his arm a bit.
Mallex Smith on his arm: "It's a little gimpy. I was trying to build up an 80 arm overnight and had a little setback. But it will be ok. "— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 16, 2019
- A shoulder issue will hold Max Povse out for a few days.
Right-hander Max Povse is being held back by a sore shoulder. He's expected to start throwing in a few days.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) February 16, 2019
- Checkout this cool Jarred Kelenic video.
- Ichiro is taking things one day at a time as the Japan Series approaches.
Ichiro not focused at this point on whether he plays beyond Japan Series in Tokyo.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) February 16, 2019
“I think a 45-year-old baseball player really shouldn’t be thinking about the future. It’s about today. I’m very satisfied with today and how it went." pic.twitter.com/VDwVR5Hx2X
Ichiro just spoke with media after first workout. Says he believes Mariners uniform will be last one he ever wears and couldn't put into words what that means to him. He's taking this season day by day.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) February 16, 2019
Asked if he still wants to play til he's 50?
- Here is more on Ichiro preparing for a chance to play in Japan for the Mariners this March.
- Evan White is the best.
Our ace @SeattleTimes photog @DeanRutz captured just how good of a dude @Mariners prospect Evan White is after he saw a fan drop his box of baseball cards and they scattered everywhere. pic.twitter.com/jlLUpt0OML— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 16, 2019
- Scott Servais is about to be the second-longest tenured manager in Mariners history.
By midseason, Scott Servais will become the second-longest tenured manager in Mariners history. He has 253 wins, already the second most in Mariners history, behind Lou Pinella. Weird to think about.— Shane Lantz (@ShaneMLantz) February 17, 2019
- Former Mariners prospect.
Around the League...
- A subtweet, perhaps?
"When the most famous player on the team can’t go 10 days without failing to run out a grounder or overthrowing a cutoff man or throwing to the wrong base, it’s hard to demand total alertness from the other 24. 'Write it,' one prominent Nats vet said." https://t.co/IV2rXWL6IC— Dan Steinberg (@dcsportsbog) February 16, 2019
- More than 10 seasons in the bigs and Alcides Escobar is competing for a starting spot in Baltimore.
Alcides Escobar is in the mix for the starting SS job with the Orioles and the utility job is up for grabs too. He’ll get 700K in the bigs.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 16, 2019
- LeBron James providing insight.
LeBron James says in a statement that CC Sabathia “will go down as one of the great competitors to ever pick up a baseball.”— Andy Martino (@martinonyc) February 16, 2019
- Tim Tebow is trying to make his presence felt at spring training.
- Another former Mariner found a spot for spring training.
The Giants are finalizing an agreement with OF Cameron Maybin to bring him to camp as a non-roster invitee, sources tell me and @Ken_Rosenthal. Interest first reported by @Buster_ESPN a few days ago. Giants were light on CFs who hit right-handed, beyond Rule 5 pick Drew Ferguson.— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) February 16, 2019
- This needs to happen more.
- The Huskies finished their season sweep of the Cougs in hoops.
- I’m not sure how real this is, but wow.
Pufferfish release a toxin when they puff out that is meant to impair the attacker. This doesn’t work on Dolphins in the same way. It gets them high. So they purposely inflate them and pass them around to their dolphin friends for fun. https://t.co/h1U59K9ksn pic.twitter.com/zd1uGQigJC— Daniel Holland (@DannyDutch) February 15, 2019
- Rumor has it this softball still hasn't landed.
- How is this possible?