The Mariners’ position players have arrived at spring training!
Only one of the Mariners' 26 position players didn't report today on time. Infielder Orlando Calixte, a non-roster invitee, is still in the Dominican Republic waiting on the visa process. Everyone else in camp and will be on the field for first full-squad workout tomorrow.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) February 15, 2019
The season is fast approaching! To prepare ourselves, let’s read these links.
In Mariners News...
- Mallex Smith is dealing with a sore elbow. ItIt sounds like it isn’t a huge deal, but it sounds like it might be worth monitoring over the coming weeks.
Smith got a little eager during some offseason workouts a few weeks ago with some throwing drills. They expect him to participate in the hitting parts of the workouts. https://t.co/LaxSc8QW5b— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 15, 2019
- Here’s Justus Sheffield participating in a bullpen session.
More from Sheffield’s bullpen pic.twitter.com/X98Z1vIine— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 15, 2019
Sheffield elevates a fastball for his last pitch pic.twitter.com/VYNJk7UOGV— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 15, 2019
- Oliver Jaskie is putting in work while preparing for Spring Training.
As Mariners minor leaguer Oliver Jaskie gets ready to report for ST, we have him in a peaking phase where the emphasis is placed on relaxing and contracting the antagonist/agonist complex trained in the movement. pic.twitter.com/2OtdWIuxPS— Kyle Rogers (@KyleRogers18) February 15, 2019
- Mariners prospect Cal Raleigh was taking some hacks in the cage yesterday.
- Another week, another top 100 prospect list. Check out the Mariners in the Athletics’ top 100 ($).
- Can you guess which Mariners prospect made MLB Pipeline’s all-defensive team?
Around the League...
- The Giants signed Yangervis Solarte.
#SFGiants in agreement with free-agent infielder Yangervis Solarte, pending physical, sources tell The Athletic.— Robert Murray (@ByRobertMurray) February 15, 2019
- The Yankees signed Luis Severino to a four year extension.
Starter Luis Severino and the New York Yankees are in agreement on a four-year, $40 million contract extension that includes a fifth-year club option, a league source tells ESPN. The deal will buy out four years of arbitration and potentially one free agent season.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) February 15, 2019
- Jeff Sullivan details Severino’s extension.
- It’s too early in the year to be thinking about position players.
Ned Yost stiff-armed questions about position players this morning, asking the media to properly "celebrate the pitcher-catcher relationship" before full workouts begin next week.— Rustin Dodd (@rustindodd) February 15, 2019
- Drew Storen signed with the Royals.
Wilson Ramos had similar offer from #LAAngels but preferred to go with Mets— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 15, 2019
Brad Brach on his free-agency experience: "We talked to certain teams and they told us that, 'We have an algorithm and here's where you fall.' ... It's just kind of weird that all offers are the same, they come around the same time. Everybody tells you there's an algorithm."— Jordan Bastian (@MLBastian) February 15, 2019
- Look out for Willie Calhoun this season.
No Rangers player remade himself this offseason like Willie Calhoun did. @ThreeTwoEephus tells you how the outfielder lost 24 pounds and how it affected how he feels. Oh, he has the fastest bat speed on the team now. Read on!https://t.co/L5HsLh6eA1…— The Athletic (@TheAthleticDFW) February 15, 2019
- Bryce Harper was almost an Astro.
Jeff Luhnow confirmed today the Astros had an agreement in principle to trade for Bryce Harper at last season’s trade deadline.— Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) February 14, 2019
- Read about the University of Arizona’s Randy Labaut’s journey from Cuba to the United States.
- A couple Fangraphs writers reflect on their experience watching the Driveline Pro Day in Kent.
- The Angels are now a contender for Mike Moustakas.
- Mark Feinsand talks about the signings of Manny Machado or Bryce Harper might affect the free agent market.
- Look at this unbelievable pileup of cars on I-70.
Unbelievable footage from the pileup on I-70 today. My jaw dropped to the floor first time I saw this video. pic.twitter.com/kKeauYDlfG— Dante' Jones (@Dantej21) February 15, 2019
- Husky Baseball plays their first game of the season today against UC Irvine.
Rain has forced the cancellation of Friday's game in Irvine. The Huskies and Anteaters will play a doubleheader on Saturday at Cicerone Field. Game 1 at 2:00 p.m., GM 2 approximately 6 p.m.— Washington Baseball (@UW_Baseball) February 15, 2019
>> https://t.co/bSy2RLKnFK#DaWgStrong pic.twitter.com/Igly7mF34p