Hey everyone! Today marks the beginning of February. Normally, this would be a pretty boring month in baseball up until pitchers and catchers report. But this year, there are so many top free agents that haven’t signed yet, so we’ll be getting major news at a much higher rate than usual. Here’s what we’ve got for you today...
In Mariners news...
- Jay Bruce talked about what it meant for him to play alongside Ken Griffey, Jr. more than a decade ago.
Around the league...
- The Yankees official team site did a profile on James Paxton to introduce The Big Maple to fans.
- The Diamondbacks might use a Mariners tactic to turn a former Mariner into a center fielder, as Jeff Sullivan reports.
- Kate appears in the most recent edition of Short Relief at Baseball Propsectus, using a The Good Place script for baseball.
- The A’s have got some new spring training caps too.
Taken from the 1920s, the Wild Elephant will be the official Spring Training and batting practice cap for the 2019 season.— Oakland Athletics ⚾️ (@Athletics) January 31, 2019
The caps are available at the Hohokam Team Store now. They'll be available at the Coliseum Team Store beginning next week and online Monday morning. pic.twitter.com/LJ0Si79mdG
- Oh my god.
Blue Jays prospect Kacy Clemens is suing a Houston bar after he says he was beaten by a bouncer so severely, it may jeopardize his baseball career, according to a report in the TMZ and the New York Post. He is the son of Rogers Clemens. https://t.co/9zO7XCzeh4— TorontoStar (@TorontoStar) January 31, 2019
- This Bryce Harper sweepstakes is turning pretty TMZ-ish, but here’s your latest update.
Harper goes into his meeting with Padres higherups tonight with at least 4 teams in realistic play: phillies, nats, chisox and pads. Several other teams are showing interest but most of those are believed interested in shorter term deals.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 31, 2019
- But don’t worry! Here’s the blockbuster you were all hungering for.
Free-agent left-hander Wade Miley signing one-year contract with #Astros, source tells The Athletic.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 31, 2019
- Kyler Murray isn’t the only talented athlete who will have to choose between baseball and football.
- A trade involving Indians ace Corey Kluber is looking less likely to happen at this point.
- The Marlins are reportedly in “advanced stages” in trade talks involving catcher J.T. Realmuto.
- Shohei Ohtani will not be ready to play on Opening Day.
- Stephen Cohen at The Athletic dropped by Hec Ed to serve as a fan for the latest Husky men’s basketball win and got some thoughts from a couple of lifelong fans of the team. ($)