In Mariners News...
- Baseball America ($) completed their review of the Mariners’ 2019-20 international signees, led by Jose Corniell and George Feliz. It is by far as thorough a writeup as you’ll find publicly, with video of more than 10 players, so if you or a friend have a subscription it’s worth your time.
- Corey Brock at The Athletic writes about why we should keep a positive mindset about the Mariners following the Winter Meetings.
- Mariners prospect Sam Carlson is ready to return after Tommy John Surgery.
- There are rumors of a Kyle Seager trade market brewing, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. We’ll have a writeup on this later today.
- Dan Szymborski of FanGraphs used his ZiPS system to project the players taken in the Rule-5 Draft, including new Mariners pitcher Yohan Ramirez.
- Baseball America wrote similarly, giving Ramirez a 25% chance to stick.
Around The League...
- Word from Rangers beat writer Levi Weaver is that the Rangers feel priced out of Josh Donaldson’s market, making them more inclined to look elsewhere - perhaps even for a Kris Bryant trade.
- Meanwhile, the Angels are looking at Corey Kluber as a Gerrit Cole consolation, to reunite with their new pitching coach Mickey Callaway.
- The Tigers have signed Austin Romine to a one year deal.
Romine deal with #Tigers is for ONE year, $4.15M, sources tell The Athletic.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 12, 2019
- It’s tough to be a Pirates fan these
The Yankees committed more money to Gerrit Cole ($324M) than the Pirates have to free agents in the last 25 years ($299.5M).— Paul Hembekides (@PaulHembo) December 11, 2019
- Which team gets your vote?
- Jose Peraza signs with the Red Sox for one year/3 million.
Red Sox agree to deal with free agent infielder Jose Peraza. Close to 3M and incentives. @ByRobertMurray 1st with agreement— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) December 12, 2019
- The Cubs are facing a federal review of Wrigley Field after they tried to take advantage of their disabled fans.
- Former Twins pitcher Martin Perez has agreed to a deal with the Red Sox.
Free-agent left-hander Martin Perez in agreement with #RedSox on one-year contract with club option for 2021, source tells The Athletic.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 13, 2019
- FiveThirtyEight’s Neil Paine notes Anthony Rendon is immediately the best teammate Mike Trout has ever had.
- Clinton Yates of The Undefeated wrote on Dave Parker’s legacy, as the Hall of Fame hopeful missed the cut once again.
- Rob Manfred remains defensive about MLB’s proposal to cut 42 minor league teams, particularly when confronted with the fact that teams can raise minor league pay at any time.
Rob Manfred has repeatedly mentioned increasing minor league salaries when discussing the proposal to cut 42 teams. I asked him why those have seemed to be connected issues. pic.twitter.com/NVf2aTD56u— Jake Seiner (@Jake_Seiner) December 11, 2019
- Ladies and gentlemen, it’s finally here.
The complete Threat Level Midnight movie is now online: https://t.co/kIaA1TmEsN— B.J. Novak (@bjnovak) December 13, 2019
- Very confused with how this works but it’s very cool.