Well, we’re really in it now. Players are on the move and rumors are flying, which means the offseason is officially underway. Maybe we’ll see most of the big moves happen before Spring Training this year, but with this winter set to be the Winter of Scott Boras (yes, more than usual), I’m not holding out too much hope.
With that, here’s what you need to know today.
In Mariners news...
- After retiring from Major League Baseball as a Mariner in 2018, Mike has gotten back into professional baseball.
It’s official!— Michael Marjama (@MMarjama) November 5, 2019
I have signed a contract with the @BrisbaneBandits this Winter in the @ABL! I can’t wait to spend the next 3 months learning about the immense culture and wonderful people! Also, the boys and I have some business to attend to as we chase down #DE5TINY! Let’s go! pic.twitter.com/0N3edJLlQ4
Around the league...
- Awards season continues, as BBWAA announced the three finalists for each of the major regular season awards.
- Well, it’s time for another one-year deal for Nick Markakis. Someone get this guy a better agent.
The #Braves have re-signed free-agent OF Nick Markakis to a one-year, $4M contract, sources tell The Athletic.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 4, 2019
- This seems to be the prevailing thought in the industry: hire a young and inexperienced guy as a manager and they’re more likely to be a “yes” man than a veteran skipper.
Looking for why Girardi is not #Mets manager? Van Wagenen mentioned being able to “exhale” when go into mgr office rather than “inhale” in weariness. Said of Beltran that he has “appetite to collaborate.” Became clear in process that BVW did not feel connection with Girardi.— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) November 4, 2019
- It’s time for trade season, baby!
- It’s also about to be Hall of Fame season. Aren’t you glad you can keep track of it without Edgar stress?
The Hall of Fame’s 2020 Modern Baseball Era ballot features Dwight Evans, Steve Garvey, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Marvin Miller, Thurman Munson, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Ted Simmons and Lou Whitaker. Results to be announced Dec. 8 on @MLBNetwork #HOF2020 https://t.co/xlF1wuPg15 pic.twitter.com/jCrDFWqyMP— National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum ⚾ (@baseballhall) November 4, 2019
- The free agent pool grows.
Danny Salazar, Cody Anderson, Tyler Olson and AJ Cole are free agents. Indians activated all four from IL and outrighted them off the roster.— Zack Meisel (@ZackMeisel) November 4, 2019
- Carlos Collazo at Baseball America wonders what could be some potential impacts of moving the MLB draft date.
- This seems like a pretty small number.
Ten players tendered qualifying offers today:— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) November 4, 2019
Josh Donaldson, Stephen Strasburg, Anthony Rendon, Gerrit Cole, Jose Abreu, Jake Odorizzi, Madison Bumgarner, Zack Wheeler, Will Smith, Marcell Ozuna.
They have 10 days to accept or reject the $17.8 million offers.
- Before you get too excited about the possibility of Marcell Ozuna in Seattle, as some are rumoring, the Cardinals are reportedly in talks with the outfielder regarding a deal that would keep him in St. Louis.
- Some people are speculating that this means the Red Sox might look into dealing Mookie Betts in an effort to stay under the luxury tax threshold. That would sure be something.
BREAKING: J.D. Martinez will not opt out of his contract with the Boston Red Sox, sources tell ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) November 4, 2019
By remaining with the Red Sox, Martinez can earn $62.5M over the next three years. He also has an opt-out clause after the 2020 season.
- Kevin Harlan’s call of the cat on the field during Monday Night Football really capped the whole situation off.
Kevin Harlan's Westwood One radio call of the cat on the field is, as you might expect, an all-time great call. How much of a pro is Harlan? He worked a sponsor read into it. pic.twitter.com/3x0MVNEHNY— Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) November 5, 2019
- In Seattle hockey news, we will apparently know the franchise’s new name by the end of January.