Hello! It is I, your friendly neighborhood Kate, doing the links today, as Becca is off taking her SATs. Everyone send some good thoughts Becca’s way. I had to take the SATs twice because my math score was so poor the first time around it wasn’t even passable for “okay we know you’re going to be an English major.” Also, though, down with standardized testing. Once I was proctoring a test to a bunch of third graders in North Philly and the reading passage was all about a girl who was getting her horse ready for a dressage competition, because the test covered all of Pennsylvania, including the horse-having parts. Dressage! I’m still mad about it. Let’s have some links to smooth things over.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, the Mariners made a waiver claim yesterday, plucking 6’3” righty Phillips Valdez out of the Rangers organization.
- Talented pitching coach Rob Marcello Jr. not only is staying with the organization (losing him was one of my biggest off-season fears), but also receiving a promotion up to Triple-A Tacoma. Here’s hoping they de-juice the baseballs before he gets there.
Mariners standout pitching coach Rob Marcello Jr. will make the jump to Triple-A in 2020. Congratulations Rob! https://t.co/9BMFkDXYGM— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) November 2, 2019
- Our guys Penn Murfee and Wyatt Mills and the rest of Team USA kick off tournament play today. You can watch for free on the WSBC YouTube channel, or check the stat line on the official site. Game time is at 12 noon, and Pirates prospect Cody Ponce will be on the bump for the US.
Around the league...
- If you’re still riding the wave of the Nationals’ first-ever World Series victory, this article on the improvements Stephen Strasburg made this season from SI should keep that buzz going.
- Also this video of the players at the Nats’ DR Academy going nuts:
- I don’t know about you, but Juan Soto’s dad was my Series MVP.
- Vera Clemente and the Clemente family are in our thoughts.
Vera Clemente, Pirates and MLB Goodwill Ambassador & wife of the great Roberto Clemente, is in delicate health and has been hospitalized.— Pirates (@Pirates) November 1, 2019
We ask all fans to join our Pirates family in sending thoughts and prayers at this difficult time to Vera and the entire Clemente family. pic.twitter.com/hE1RY4PRys
- Nothing official yet, but it looks like the Mets will be hiring Carlos Beltrán as their next manager.
Source: The Mets plan to make Carlos Beltrán their next manager.— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) November 1, 2019
- While Beltrán moves on, former teammate Mike Cameron is not about that managerial life...at least, not yet. (I am #TeamCammy on this front. I would have no interest in being sliced and diced every day on sports radio.)
that’s like 3 teammates in th last 2 yrs for managers.. hmmm ...D Bell, A Boone and Beltran ... nah I ain’t ready for that ..Good luck CB in the wild side of the “concrete jungle”— Cameron (@_darkman44) November 1, 2019
“I have a brother-in-law who has autism, and [Trump] is a guy that mocked a disabled reporter. How would I explain that to him that I hung out with somebody who mocked the way that he talked, or the way that he moves his hands? I can’t get past that stuff” https://t.co/2jmPNsPb6I— Joe Heim (@JoeHeim) November 2, 2019
- Nelson Cruz has decided to start hitting golf balls. Be afraid, golf balls everywhere.
I fully admit to being one of these terrible people who switches full-on into holiday mode the day after Halloween ends. Get out of my face, fall! I only love winter now. Fetch me my holiday-scented lotions and candles with idiot names like Frosted Cranberry Noel Campfire, and my set of red-and-green flannel pajamas that it is objectively too warm for but I will wear anyway until I pass out from heat exhaustion, and cue up the worst Christmas songs on the hi-fi. Debbie Gibson? Baha Men? Rebecca Black? I will consume all their holiday songs GLEEFULLY. Look, I know it’s awful, but I take solace in knowing it’s not just me.
Halloween is over. You know what that means! pic.twitter.com/zk8isMz3Rh— Very thankful Nick (please pass the turkey) (@TheNumba1Guy) November 1, 2019
Every year, Mariah positions herself a little closer to one day textbooks being written about the ancient 21st century rite of Mariahsmas and while I don’t condone it, I respect it.