In Mariners News...
- Kristopher Negrón, who played for the Mariners from mid-season of 2018 through mid-season of last year, announced his retirement yesterday.
⚾️❤️ pic.twitter.com/h1J0mCLVXw— Kristopher Negrón (@KNegs17) November 12, 2019
- Former LL’er. friend of the site, and current Mariner employee Colin O’Keefe posted an excellent article about prospect Cal Raleigh.
- Greg Johns gave us his top Mariner moments of 2019.
- If schadenfreude is your thing, the New York Post published (what must be) the twentieth lament for the Jarred Kelenic trade.
Around the League...
- The biggest and most interesting story from yesterday is The Athletic’s coverage of allegations that the Astros have been illegally stealing signs using technology. The story is very much worth reading, but it is behind a paywall. ESPN has posted a brief summary for those of you not subscribed to The Athletic.
- Baseball Prospectus published this revealing and thought-provoking piece about the economics of baseball’s labor market.
- Rocco Baldelli and Brian Snitker have been respectively named the AL and NL Managers of the Year.
The 2019 IBWAA AL Manager of the Year Award goes to Rocco Baldelli @Twins. Boone 2nd, Cash. 3rd.— IBWAA (@IBWAA) November 12, 2019
The 2019 IBWAA NL Manager of the Year Award goes to Brian Snitker @Braves. Shildt 2nd, Counsell 3rd.
Cy tomorrow.#SwatTheVote pic.twitter.com/mYcVlXwvRH
- The Padres have agreed to terms with Zayed Salinas, the top international prospect out of Mexico.
- According to Bob Nightengale, the Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox are the only teams that will have to pay a luxury tax this year.
- This rule change that GM’s will be voting on this off-season seems... massive.
Here in Arizona the top rule change the GMs will vote on is ‘relief inning rule’The rule will stipulate that a relief pitcher must pitch either 2/3 or a whole inning after entering a game .— Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) November 12, 2019
- Adam Wainwright has agreed to a one-year deal with the St. Louis Cardinals.
Adam Wainwright going back to #STLCards on one-year deal, team announces.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 12, 2019
- The UW men’s basketball team is off to a great start this season!
- Mercury just transited in front of the sun for the last time for the next thirteen years. NASA took some spectacular photos, which I recommend you check out.
- Oxygen has been fluctuating in the Martian atmosphere in a way that’s scientists can’t explain. The findings suggest an unknown source and sink of oxygen. Hmm.