Good morning everyone! I’m back. A huge shoutout to everyone for filling in for me over the last week. With the playoffs underway, here’s what you need to know today.
In Playoff News...
- The Dodgers put a pummeling on the Nationals last night, gaining a 2-1 edge in the series overall.
- The Braves put together a rally while down to their last out to stun the Cardinals, giving Atlanta the 2-1 series lead.
In Mariners news...
- This late-rounder from Santa Clara has really impressed this last year and could be a part of the team’s future.
I saw #Mariners Murfee pitch earlier this week. He broke two bats in T1 by owning the inside of the plate. Changes up his delivery almost pitch to pitch-including using a bit of a sidearm. Sneaky pitcher.— Bernie Pleskoff (@BerniePleskoff) October 7, 2019
Around the league...
- Well, this would certainly be a pain for the Mariners and something that they would have to deal with as they try to compete in the next several years.
Joe Maddon will interview with the #Angels early this week and they are his No. 1 choice, sources tell The Athletic. Maddon spent 31 years in Angels’ organization before joining the Rays as manager in 2006. First to report interview with LAA: @Buster_ESPN.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) October 6, 2019
- Maybe a little bit of pandering here?
Interesting stuff from @NathalieMLB, who spoke to Carlos Beltrán about his potential future as a manager. Among Beltrán's responses:— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) October 6, 2019
-He'll "have to" listen if Mets officials come calling.
-If he gets into Cooperstown, he'll consider a Mets cap plaque.https://t.co/oNiO2Iy1PO
- It’s a wonder anyone is able to get on base against Gerrit Cole on purpose.
- Remember Carlos Delgado? The former big leaguer is doing some really cool stuff with his non-profit now that he’s out of the game, including increasing healthcare access for children in Puerto Rico.
- LL alum Meg Rowley broke down the most recent Rays-Astros game over at Fangraphs.
- The preseason is in full swing, but his voice isn’t quite in mid-season form.