Good morning everyone! We’ve got one game of the World Series in the books. Here’s what else you need to know today.
In playoff news...
- The Nationals tagged up Gerrit Cole and managed to sneak out a 5-4 victory in the first game of the World Series.
In Mariners news...
- Greg Johns wonders where King Félix will go from here.
- Some sad minors updates...
20 minor leaguers have been released. pic.twitter.com/BXA9sTaZog— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) October 22, 2019
- Corey Brock at The Athletic talked to Mariners prospects about their experience at the high-performance camp. ($)
Around the league...
- Fascinating that they’ve done so well in spite of this.
This is skewed because of AL/NL (except, good lord, Cleveland), and I am not attempting to unskew it. You should just know how bunty this is going to get. pic.twitter.com/IObWVhlj9B— Mike Petriello (@mike_petriello) October 23, 2019
- Health advice from the legend himself...
17-year veteran Fernando Rodney's health advice: "Psh, I don't know. I eat a lot of rice and beans."— Hunter Atkins (@HunterAtkins35) October 21, 2019
- The Mets managerial search could get interesting.
One person connected to team has said a “bombshell candidate” is in the mix if a clear favorite does not emerge from the current group. Have fun with that one. No way David Wright would ever do this so don’t go down that road btw— Andy Martino (@martinonyc) October 22, 2019
- In slightly related news...
Carlos “Bombshell a few weeks ago but now a known candidate” Beltran will have his Mets callback interview later this week, likely Friday, per sources— Andy Martino (@martinonyc) October 22, 2019
- Jeff Passan gave his take on the nightmare going on with the Astros.
- Wow, this is super neat.
Inside the corridors of Howard University Hospital are markers noting where the batter’s box and home plate sat in Griffith Stadium — site of the last World Series held in Washington. #STAYINTHEFIGHT pic.twitter.com/cV1QKhmXSc— Drew Hansen (@Drubaru) October 21, 2019
- The New York Times released a cool feature (with visuals!) on how baseball markets itself compared to other sports.
- The New York Post is reporting that Mickey Callaway may join Joe Maddon with the Angels.
- Eric Stephen stacked Justin Verlander/Gerrit Cole up against other great pitching tandems in baseball history.
- Sam Miller at ESPN did his yearly ranking of all 50 players in the World Series.
- The Cubs have reportedly gone internal for their next manager, hiring former catcher David Ross over Joe Espada, their runner-up candidate and the Astros current bench coach.
Cubs are hiring David Ross for manager— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) October 23, 2019