In playoff news...
- The Braves didn’t even stand a chance last night as the Cardinals took a 10-0 edge in the first inning en route to a 13-1 clobbering to secure a spot in the NLCS.
- The Nationals won a tumultuous contest that saw them score six runs unanswered at the end of the game to win 7-3 over the Dodgers in extra innings, moving to the NLCS.
In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic discussed Shed Long’s future in Seattle. ($)
- Baseball Prospectus wrote up a number of prospects, including the M’s Sam Delaplane.
- Jarred Kelenic was mic’d up in the Arizona Fall League.
- After having his season cut short, Jake Fraley is ready to get back to work in 2020.
Around the league...
- I’m guessing this was decided beforehand, but it’s certainly odd timing: Brian McCann decided to call it a career just minutes after the final out was made in the Braves-Cardinals game.
- I feel like we don’t see enough cross-sport athlete friendships.
- The Twins have exercised their option on Nelson Cruz.
- Bartolo Colón is writing an autobiography titled “Big Sexy.”
- Learn a little bit more about Christian Yelich.
- Rays first baseman Ji-Man Choi has caught baseball by storm in the postseason. Ben Clemens at Fangraphs breaks down his charm.
- Audrey Stark at Fangraphs looked into baseball’s longest-lasting pairs of teammates.
- This is pretty fascinating.