Yesterday was the 18 year anniversary of Ichiro signing with the Mariners.
Comment with a few of your favorite Ichiro moments and memories!
In Mariners News...
- Ichiro will be on the Mariners 28-man roster in Japan.
Dipoto reiterates that if Ichiro is healthy, he'll be part of Mariners' 28-man roster to open season in Japan. Here's the latest. https://t.co/GfMtmKbV1l— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) January 4, 2019
- Graveyard Baseball breaks down Yusei Kikuchi’s deal with the Mariners.
- Connor Dawson is joining the Mariners as a MiLB hitting coach.
The word is out pretty much but I am happy to tell you all that after our season at @MCCTigers_BB I will be joining the @Mariners in a MiLB hitting coach role. I’m forever in debt to everyone I’ve been around and Marshalltown CC. pic.twitter.com/5P6SLTb2MO— Connor Dawson (@CoachDaws) January 5, 2019
- The Mariners hired a new data analytics intern.
Life Update: I have accepted a position as a Baseball Analytics Intern for the 2019 season for the @Mariners. I’m very excited to get the team I grew up rooting for back to the playoffs. pic.twitter.com/eGAzqCOYn0— Spencer Weisberg (@sweisberg00) January 5, 2019
- The Mariners Caravan hits the road next week.
The #MarinersCaravan hits the road starting Monday.— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) January 5, 2019
Up this week: Longview, Lynnwood and a special #PlayBall stop in Vancouver, WA, where we'll even hop in the cages. https://t.co/EAwPWs4MIm pic.twitter.com/DjLwNNpqaf
Around the League...
- Keon Broxton is headed to New York.
Met acquire Keon Broxton— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 5, 2019
- Here is what the Brewers get in return for Keon Broxton.
RHP Bobby Wahl, RHP Adam Hill and INF Felix Valerio have been acquired from the New York Mets in exchange for OF Keon Broxton. pic.twitter.com/nl20vYfRUM— Milwaukee Brewers (@Brewers) January 5, 2019
- Does this mean Kendrys Morales is the best player in baseball today?
Mike Trout has been named AL Player of the Week three times:— Jim Passon (@PassonJim) January 5, 2019
June 4-10, 2012
July 7-13, 2014
July 6-12, 2015
Kendrys Morales has been named AL Player of the Week three times since the last time Mike Trout won the award:
June 27-July 3, 2016
Sept 5-11, 2016
Aug 20-26, 2018
- David Eckstein is joining the Pirates organization.
The #Pirates hire classy David Eckstein as special assistant/baseball operations— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) January 5, 2019
- Zach Britton is now a Yankee.
Zach Britton's financial details:— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 6, 2019
Three years, $39 million guaranteed.
If Yankees opt into fourth year, $53 million guaranteed.
If Yankees don't and Britton opts out, he'll have made $26 million over the first two seasons.
- Troy Tulowitzki also signed with the Yankees.
Tulo gets full no-trade with Yankees along with 555K minimum salary (from them). 16 teams were interested following his workout so he had leverage. Original trade from Rockies upset him as he had belief he’d have a say in trade (he didn’t); now he has control over that— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 5, 2019
- Ken Rosenthal wrote about free agent possibilities for Craig Kimbrell and more in his column for the Athletic ($).
- The free agency market for relief pitchers has grown overtime.
Free agency is a struggle for a growing number of players, but the market for top relievers continues to advance. Andrew Miller’s four-year, $36M with the #Yankees in 12/14 was a record for non-closers. Four years later, Britton exceeds that guarantee at $39M for *three* years.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 6, 2019
- Yasiel Puig visited youth baseball players in Hawaii.
- Javy Baez, Trevor Bauer, and Jose Berrios hosted a baseball clinic in Puerto Rico.
- The debate is over.
Ladies and gentlemen, the highlight of my journalism career just took place, at the CFP media hospitality room.— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) January 5, 2019
I asked Joey Chestnut whether a hot dog is a sandwich.
Quote: “Absolutely not.”