Hello everybody and happy last day of January! Tomorrow we will officially be within the month where Spring Training begins! That’s pretty exciting. Meanwhile, here are some links to get you through your day.
In Mariners news...
- Here’s Julio in slow-mo.
Slo-mo ⏳ #JRODshow pic.twitter.com/v9T3LLaPW3— Julio Rodriguez (@J_RODrodiguez44) January 30, 2019
- It looks like everybody was in on J.P. Crawford.
#Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto said on his Wheelhouse podcast that he gave the team's front office members a blank 25-man roster to fill out at the end of the 2018 season. J.P. Crawford, then a Phillies prospect, was included on almost every one of them. https://t.co/vhFK6LBccn— 710 ESPN Seattle (@710ESPNSeattle) January 30, 2019
Around the league...
- Yasiel Puig isn’t impressed by this winter storm.
everyone: OMG POLAR VORTEX— Cespedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) January 31, 2019
Puig: nbd pic.twitter.com/drLUtu5Egd
- Another reliever finds a home.
Free agent reliever Greg Holland is in agreement with the Arizona Diamondbacks on a one-year deal, league sources confirm to ESPN. Deal will be for base salary under $5 million but include performance bonuses that can juice it significantly.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 30, 2019
- Grant Brisbee has joined The Athletic.
- Front offices continue to poach popular sabermetric writers.
The Mets have hired Russell Carleton to join their front office.— Michael Mayer (@mikemayerMMO) January 31, 2019
He's a long-time Baseball Prospectus analyst and writer of recent book The Shift: The Next Evolution in Baseball.
- If you need a good laugh, a clever Twitter user compared the hair of baseball players to that of various Pokémon.
- Former Mariner alert: The Padres have agreed to a deal with Brandon Maurer.
- Well, he certainly didn’t hold anything back.
Pop wasn't too happy with the Spurs win over the Suns pic.twitter.com/1RMSeUqDsz— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) January 30, 2019
- The Sounders have an official name for their farm team.
BREAKING: S2, Sounder’s USL club rebranded TACOMA Defiance.#Tacoma pic.twitter.com/6GmmqKfMfc— Chris Daniels (@ChrisDaniels5) January 30, 2019