Good morning everybody! It’s already Thursday, which is pretty neat. We’ve got some stories to get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners officially announced the Yusei Kikuchi signing, and there are some quotes from Jerry Dipoto on the deal.
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs provides his take on the Mariners’ signing of Kikuchi.
- Keith Law opines that the Kikuchi deal shows the M’s are serious about kickstarting their rebuild (ESPN+ subscription only).
- Here’s a fun fact about the M’s new lefty!
Maybe this has already been pointed out and I missed it, but new #Mariners pitcher Yusei Kikuchi was teammates with Wade LeBlanc on the Seibu Lions in 2015.— Larry Stone (@StoneLarry) January 2, 2019
- If any of you are feeling nostalgic...
- The Mariners caravan starts next week! Check out the details here.
- The Tacoma Rainiers could be in some financial trouble because of team employees dancing on the roof during games.
- Here are some interesting little nuggets on the Mariners’ closer situation.
Jerry Dipoto on the closer position for the @Mariners in 2019:— Jessamyn McIntyre (@JessamynMcIntyr) January 3, 2019
"I'm guessing that our closer doesn't yet play for the Mariners...somebody or multiple somebodies are still yet to enter the fray."
Bless @cougsgo for asking Jerry Dipoto what he thinks about Felix as a closer.— Brent Stecker (@BrentStecker) January 3, 2019
"I don't think much of it at all."
Around the league...
- Can you spot the two former Mariners on the Braves’ Single-A coaching staff?
- It’s getting to be a desperate part of the offseason for baseball news...
A.J. Pollock's six most recent follows are five different surfing accounts and one called Nut Shots, which is a bunch of videos of dudes getting whaled in the nuts.— Ted Berg (@OGTedBerg) January 2, 2019
- Bill Baer wonders if the grind of a minor league baseball season could drive Kyler Murray away from the sport.
- The Bryce Harper sweepstakes continue as the Phillies are setting up an in-person meeting with the outfielder.
- This is really cool.