Good morning everybody and happy Tuesday! Here are some links to get your day going.
In Mariners news...
- Here’s Jonathan Mayo’s take on J.P. Crawford...
With the struggles he's had, I'd have to think he'd be on the outside of the #Top100Prospects list, maybe on the very end of it. I still believe in him, but the star has faded a bit (perhaps unfairly). https://t.co/oi33X96cE4— Jonathan Mayo (@JonathanMayo) January 28, 2019
- The hype around Julio seems to be growing nationally.
I'm a big fan of Julio Rodriguez. Good swing, knows the strike zone, huge power. Could see him climb into the BA Top 100 soon.https://t.co/3JeuR2vgdi— Ben Badler (@BenBadler) January 29, 2019
- If you’re wondering what Tui has been up to...
Thanks to @DGottliebMLB for this story on injured Mariners reliever Sam Tuivailala and how he stayed connected to fans and teammates during his rehab from Achilles surgery. https://t.co/AFZwNmXaeA— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) January 28, 2019
- The M’s have made a minor signing.
Mariners sign RHP Eliezer Mejia out of Piedra Blanca, Dominican Republic & assign him to the DSL Mariners. pic.twitter.com/l033uzrW2d— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) January 28, 2019
- The Mariners are still deploying a winning philosophy in the minor leagues. This from the M’s Single-A club manager.
Wrapped up a conference call with 2019 @wv_power MGR David Berg a while ago....our media got a chance to ask him some questions and hear his thoughts on the season. This response was my favorite.— David Kahn (@SportsKahn4) January 29, 2019
Berg wants to win, and he’s going to have a team poised to accomplish that in 2019. pic.twitter.com/deebeNJumJ
Around the league...
- Former Mariner alert.
.@Orioles claim INF Jack Reinheimer off waivers from @Rangers, designate RHP Austin Brice for assignment.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) January 28, 2019
- Another reliever is off the board.
Welcome to New York! We’ve signed Justin Wilson to a two-year deal. #LGM pic.twitter.com/pxVfT8RAvb— New York Mets (@Mets) January 28, 2019
- And another.
Free agent reliever Shawn Kelley and the Texas Rangers are in agreement on a one-year, $2.5 million contract, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 28, 2019
- The Reds are being really aggressive this offseason.
Reds are making progress. In Realmuto talks, but there’s word of caution: not at finish line yet.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 28, 2019
- David Schoenfield wonders what aspects of the game have changed the most in recent years.
- And yet the Padres refuse to spend money.
Dead $ weirdness: The Padres are paying Clayton Richard, Kazuhisa Makita, Phil Hughes, Hector Olivera & Jedd Gyorko more to *not* play for the Padres in ’19 then they are paying Eric Hosmer *to* play for the Padres. Worse: group is projected to be worth the same as Hos next year.— Eno Sarris (@enosarris) January 28, 2019
- As baseball continues to die in sports media...
Baseball Tonight, or any other daily baseball show, will not return to ESPN in 2019 https://t.co/ICQcL4OReZ pic.twitter.com/s06UbF7t5V— Awful Announcing (@awfulannouncing) January 28, 2019
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia announced that he has retired from baseball.
- Dillon Gee has also decided to step away from the game.
- They have officially moved the Caribbean Series.
The 2019 Caribbean Series will be played at Rod Carew National Stadium in Panama City, Panama, starting February 4, the Caribbean Confederation announced Monday afternoon. The event was originally scheduled for Venezuela.— Jesse Sanchez (@JesseSanchezMLB) January 28, 2019
- I think he just killed Steph.
look at Steph celebrating on the bench lmao— SB Nation (@SBNation) January 29, 2019