Good morning everybody! If you ask Buster Olney, the offseason is really going to ramp up in the next month in terms of activity. We’ve got plenty of stuff to get you through today as well. So buckle up.
In Mariners news...
- The Power have announced their coaching staff for this year!
The West Virginia Power, in conjunction with the @Mariners, is excited to announce our 2019 Coaching Staff!— West Virginia Power (@wv_power) January 14, 2019
Dave Berg - Manager@eRoc86 - Hitting Coach@alonleichman2 - Pitching Coach@Jershenheim - Trainer@Childsy2489 - Performance Specialist
MORE: https://t.co/6dhjpGFoEZ pic.twitter.com/dyG5cXeIIw
- In more minor league coaching staff news, the Rainiers have brought back Daren Brown, the winningest manager in team history, to helm the squad.
- This would be an interesting move by the Mariners given their position for 2019.
Things said to “ramp up” in Sonny Gray trade talks since CC Sabathia was given clearance to pitch. At least 6 teams said to be involved. Reds are one. Padres, Brewers, A’s, Padres, Mariners, Braves among others linked to Sonny.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 14, 2019
- Baseball America members can now see the website’s Top 10 list of Mariners prospects.
- If you’re wondering what Logan Gilbert has been up to...
@mariners stud @logangilbert22 has been gradually ramping up volume and intensity since November. Fastball ahead of where we expected it at this time. Consummate #ranchguy humble, driven, and working w patient persistence. pic.twitter.com/wysXkngVLH— Florida Baseball Ranch (@FLBaseballRanch) January 14, 2019
- Congratulations, Dave!
Around the league...
- Jim Bowden at The Athletic takes a look at some upcoming rookies who are likely to be playing in the big leagues in 2019. ($)
Wow, Robinson Cano was slow last season... He had a sprint speed of 24.5 ft/s, league avg is 27 ft/s. Only a handful of players, mostly catchers, were slower than him. pic.twitter.com/Ja3ucSSfcH— Daren Willman (@darenw) January 14, 2019
- He’s on the comeback!
Mark Rzepczynski is holding a showcase for MLB teams tomorrow #scrabble— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 14, 2019
- And so continues the slow drip of free agents signing.
Derek Holland signs with #SFGiants, per source: One year, $7M, with club option.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 14, 2019
- Former big leaguer — an a former Mariners pitching coach — Mel Stottlemyre, Sr. passed away yesterday.
- Michael Baumann at The Ringer wonders if a player strike would be needed to fix the labor issues.
- Mike Axisa tries to figure out who the “mystery team” is for the Manny Machado sweepstakes by using the process of elimination.
- This doesn’t mean that he can’t still choose baseball, but...
I have declared for the NFL Draft.— Kyler Murray (@TheKylerMurray) January 14, 2019
- Is this going to become a thing now?
- Anthony Calamis at Fangraphs tries to figure out how Mike Mussina could get inducted to the Hall of Fame.
- The Rays have agreed to a one-year pact with Avisail Garcia.
- If you remember the video of that super-talented UCLA gymnast from yesterday, you’ve got to check out her story on The Players’ Tribune.