It’s the middle of January and there are countless headlines from around the league to read through. Check them all out!
In Mariners News...
- Joe Posnanski discusses Edgar Martinez’ path towards Hall of Fame induction ($).
- Forrest Herrmann will be joining the Mariners as a Pitching Strategist.
Very excited to announce I’ll be joining the Seattle Mariners Org. as a Pitching Strategist! The past few years @P3_StL have been a great opportunity to learn and grow as a person and as a coach. To all of the athletes & coaches I’ve had the opportunity to work with, thank you. pic.twitter.com/ClUSmxfehw— Forrest Herrmann (@forrestherrmann) January 11, 2019
- This is an emergency.
- The Mariners avoided arbitration with all eligible players.
Roenis Elias has settled with Mariners, so Seattle has no players going to arbitration.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) January 11, 2019
- Marco Gonzales talks about his development, crediting Wade LeBlanc and Mike Leake for helping him improve.
- Former Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon turned 60 yesterday.
Happy 60th birthday to Lloyd McClendon. Here’s hoping someone got him a cake that looks like a base pic.twitter.com/GygfiiH9bC— Yahoo Sports MLB (@MLByahoosports) January 11, 2019
Around the League...
- Alex Bregman of the Astros underwent elbow surgery. He’s expected to be healthy before Opening Day.
- Baseball America has released their 2019 Top 100 MLB Draft Prospects list.
- Mookie Betts and the Red Sox agreed to a $20 million salary for next season.
Mookie Betts settled with the Boston Red Sox at $20 million, league source familiar with the agreement tells ESPN. A huge number that sets a new standard for 4+ players. His number next year, if he doesn’t work out an extension, could be gargantuan.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 11, 2019
- Jacob DeGrom will earn nearly $10 million more this year than he did in 2018.
Jacob deGrom just beat Mookie Betts' hours-old arbitration raise record, jumping from $7.4 million last season to $17 million this year, source tells ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 11, 2019
- Here’s a list of players that did not reach arbitration settlements.
The full list of players who did not reach arbitration settlement, per league sources:— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 11, 2019
- The Yankees added DJ LeMahieu to play a variety of roles.
The Yankees plan to use LeMahieu as a versatile player around the infield. They will use him at second base, first base and third base.— Jack Curry (@JackCurryYES) January 11, 2019
- Jonathan Mayo talks about MLB’s Rookie Career Development Program.
- MLB spent less on player salaries in 2018 while earning record high revenues.
- Observe many skeletons throwing hard in one GIF.
Nine different recreated 3D models of athletes in-gym who threw 90 mph or above during their motion capture assessments.— Anthony Brady MS, CSCS (@BaseballFreak_9) January 11, 2019
All synchronized to ball release.
For as many similarities that they share, there are just as many differences.
There are a lot of ways to throw hard. pic.twitter.com/gBjYFnkm9B
- Andrew Romine is headed to play for the Phillies’ organization.
The #Phillies sign infielders Gift Ngoepe and Andrew Romine to minor-league deals— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) January 11, 2019
- The Blue Jays are paying lots of money to players not playing for the Blue Jays.
The #Bluejays are paying $16.4 million of remaining $20 million of Russell Martin’s contract, #Jays say. It means they will be paying $54 million this year to players to NOT play for them including Troy Tulowitzki with #Yankees— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) January 11, 2019
- Tyler Wolfe detailed the Astros’ meticulous pregame preparations.
Thread: Some fun facts about my time with the Astros:In extended we had three cages set up just like this. One fastball machine in each cage paired with a lefty/righty breaking ball or change-up. Pregame BP was similar and also one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done.— Tyler Wolfe (@twolfie3) January 12, 2019
- Grant Brisbee explores how many WAR he would be worth in Little League.