Good morning everybody! Happy Friday to you all. Let’s get your day started off with some links.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners and Domingo Santana have avoided arbitration.
- In case you missed it, the Mariners made a pair of signings yesterday: SS Tim Beckham and RHP Cory Gearrin.
Around the league...
- Zach Kram at The Ringer thinks teams shouldn’t be so resistant to giving Manny Machado and Bryce Harper big money.
- Sung Min Kim at The Athletic says that baseball broadcasts can serve as a useful tool for someone who is learning English. ($)
- Stadium re-branding continues!
The Giants formally announced their 10-year naming rights agreement to rebrand their stadium as Oracle Park. If you don't like it, here are alternatives:— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) January 10, 2019
24 Willie Mays Plaza
On the Shores of McCovey Cove
Or just be glad it's not called Guaranteed Rate Field.
- The Mets have agreed to a two-year deal with Jed Lowrie.
- The Rangers have agreed to a one-year deal with right-hander Shelby Miller.
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs wonders if Willians Astudillo could ever break Joe DiMaggio’s legendary hitting streak.
- The Nationals locked up second baseman Brian Dozier on a one-year pact.
- Grant Brisbee sees a lot of issues in Yasmani Grandal’s new contract with the Brewers.
- Britni de la Cretaz at The Ringer says it’s time for the Kiss Cam to go.