Well, this hasn’t been the second half we needed has it? I came across this last night.
On July 5, Mariners were 56-32. They're 22-32 since after losing 4-2 to Yankees tonight. Betances strikes out Span and Seager to leave bases loaded in ninth. M's now 7 1/2 back of A's with 20 to go ...— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) September 9, 2018
Seven and a half back with 20 to play. Not ideal. But we’re Mariners fans, so let’s embrace the sub-ideal situation and pour out 20 more games of support into our club? That support starts here by reading the links.
In Mariners News...
- The Yankees and Mariners are opponents on the field, but attend concerts together off the field?
- Corey Brock of the Athletic describes Denard Span’s move from Tampa Bay to Seattle ($).
- TJ Cotterill discusses Mike Zunino’s year and what he brings to the table offensively for the Mariners.
- The Yankees are closing in on Seattle’s single-season homer record of 267.
In June, the Yankees seemed like a sure bet to break the 1997 Mariners' single-season home run record of 264. Then Judge, Gary, and Didi all got hurt. But with 22 games remaining, they are now on pace to hit...264 home runs. It's gonna be close! https://t.co/xbTRBbnb2G pic.twitter.com/Sn4B6mCWIj— Cespedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) September 7, 2018
- I don’t know anything about Lana Del Ray, but I approve of her song title.
- Devan Fink of Beyond the Box Score looks at Dee Gordon’s offensive struggles in 2018.
- They call him “Clutch Kyle.”
Around the League...
- The Rockies are fighting to win the playoffs with some youthful arms.
The @Rockies are the only @MLB team this year not to utilize a starting pitcher who is 30 or older. And they are on pace to win the NL West for the first time in franchise history. Exciting present and future for baseball in Denver. @MLBNetwork— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) September 7, 2018
- Can we expect bitcoin bobble heads in the future?
JUST IN: The @Dodgers will announce today that, on 9/21, they will distribute crypto tokens that will unlock one of three digital player bobbleheads that can be stored in a fan’s Ethereum wallet. Believed to be the first crypto-based giveaway in pro sports. pic.twitter.com/ehkeoHydY0— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) September 7, 2018
- The Phillies lost their Director of Player Development because of philosophical differences with the front office.
- Dustin Pedroia is done for 2018.
- Ervin Santana is done for the year in Minnesota.
Ervin is undergoing 3 PRP treatments in his middle finger but won’t pitch again this year. #mntwins.— Mike Berardino (@MikeBerardino) September 8, 2018
- Ryan Yarbough has won 14 games as a reliever.
Ryan Yarbrough is now 14-5, w/ 12 of those W coming in relief.— Mike Petriello (@mike_petriello) September 9, 2018
It's been 32 years since a RP (80% of G in relief) won 14 games.
I think the assumption has been that the 'opener' is bad for $, and who knows, maybe it is, but it'd be interesting to see anyone do an actual study.
Abiatal Avelino struck out in his first big league at-bat. He has an interesting routine before getting to the plate: pic.twitter.com/3H2c8Rroa0— Alex Pavlovic (@PavlovicNBCS) September 8, 2018
- Serena Williams is incredible.
- Our condolences are with Mac Miller’s family and friends.