Well, good morning. Congratulations, it’s Saturday. It’s also September now. Holy shit.
I hope you rested well because today the season is more or less on the line with James Paxton on the mound. It’s in Oakland, which is not ideal, but other than that, it’s about as good of a scenario as could be wished for at this point in the season. The Mariners put up one heck of a rally last night despite falling short, so I can only hope that the team keeps that fighting spirit going through the rest of the series and beyond. If not, hey, it’s just baseball (cries into keyboard).
In Mariners news...
- Beyond the Box Score goes deep on Félix’s last start.
- Mariners pitching prospect Scott Boches moves up to high-A:
Congrats @scottyboch6 on your promotion to Modesto!— Mariners Minors (@MiLBMariners) August 31, 2018
- Someone PLEASE go to this and report back:
Come join me and some surprise guests from the @Mariners and @Seahawks at @DaveandBusters in Auburn, WA on 9/10 for a very special night to support @koutpoverty and @food4thehungry . Click the link for more details! https://t.co/NTCBD1qjKB pic.twitter.com/QFPqE4yGmv— Dee Gordon (@FlashGJr) August 31, 2018
Around the league...
- Some vintage hitting advice from Ted Williams during his days as manager for the Texas Rangers. Ted was an early adopter of Team Elevate & Celebrate:
Ted Williams dropping knowledge in '72 pic.twitter.com/5ycxXjfmcx— Jason Ochart (@JasonOchart) October 9, 2016
- Josh Donaldson got traded to Cleveland and I can’t stop laughing at everything about this tweet:
- And here’s a whole shitload more waiver deadline deals!
#Brewers get Gio Gonzalez, sources tell The Athletic.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 31, 2018
The #Rockies have acquired catcher Drew Butera and cash considerations from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for left-handed pitcher Jerry Vasto.— Rockies PR (@RockiesPR) August 31, 2018
- Sure, why not.
Freese to dodgers— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) September 1, 2018
Mickey Callaway said David Wright has not been cleared medically to play in Major League games. Callaway said there is a different medical threshold required to play in MLB games versus minor league games.— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) August 31, 2018
For the record, I've never heard anything like that before in my life.
- Shoutout to Team Japan for winning the World Cup of Women’s Baseball for the (checks notes) SIXTH TIME?!?! God damn!
- Shameless self-promo, but WRITE A FANPOST, YA LAZY JERKS!
- ‘Nuff said.