Hey folks! Let’s get you some links to start off your Wednesday.
In Mariners news...
- Is Kyle Lewis beginning to figure things out?
- In case you missed it...
The finished product. ♂️— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) August 28, 2018
This photo belongs in a museum. pic.twitter.com/LYVoxUJqjl
- Oh, it’s just gorgeous.
Edwin Diaz leads the American League in K%, striking out 44.8% of the batters he's faced. Here's a breakdown of every plate appearance vs him this season pic.twitter.com/4vJ1YFIpxo— Daren Willman (@darenw) August 28, 2018
- Our very own Kate Preusser wrote a very interesting piece at The Athletic about how Mariners bullpen coach Brian DeLunas helped Félix Hernández find his groove again. ($)
- Tom Krasovic at the San Diego Union-Tribune wrote about the “rivalry” between the M’s and the Padres.
- Here’s the latest on Marco Gonzales...
Marco Gonzales said he’s been dealing with the neck issue for the last few weeks. He’s been able to push through the discomfort. But it felt worse after his last outing— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) August 28, 2018
Around the league...
- Sean Manaea has officially been diagnosed with rotator cuff tendonitis.
- And here’s the fallout for Manaea.
Manaea will be shut down from throwing until the discomfort is gone, will then have to build up to throwing off mound again. But Melvin says the hope is he pitches again this season.— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) August 28, 2018
- David Wright is moving his way up as he attempts to play his first MLB game since 2016. The third baseman hasn’t played more than 40 games in a season since 2014.
David Wright is headed to Triple-A Las Vegas to continue his rehab.— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) August 28, 2018
- In a game against the A’s, Josh Reddick got to third from home in perhaps the strangest way.
- Jacob deGrom continued his run of dominance against the Cubs last night.
8 innings, 1 run against the team with the best record in the National League. ERA down to 1.68 for deGrom. #Mets— Wayne Randazzo (@WayneRandazzo) August 29, 2018
- Not all has been roses for deGrom though...
An underrated Cy Young candidate: Whoever opposes Jacob deGrom, as that pitcher has combined to toss 147 2/3 innings of 2.50 ERA ball this season.— Tim Britton (@TimBritton) August 29, 2018
- This is a pretty slick play from the reliever.
- Cardinals center fielder Harrison Bader deserves to get more noise for the Rookie of the Year award, writes Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs.
- This might be my new favorite Twitter account.
- Craig Edwards took a look at the strength of schedule for playoff teams from here on out. The Mariners actually have an easier path than the A’s do now.
- Well, there goes one offseason managerial opening.
The #Stlcards will announce that Mike Shildt is now their manager, stripping away the interim title— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) August 28, 2018
- If we see Josh Donaldson again this season, it might be on another team.
Josh Donaldson is playing/showcasing in Dunedin tonight, just in time for a possible trade. Still has 4M plus to go but upside obviously huge. Scouts will be there.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) August 28, 2018
- The Phillies successfully worked out a deal to acquire José Bautista.
- The Braves have extended catcher Tyler Flowers for another year plus an option.
- White Sox starter Lucas Giolito is having a late break-out this season, writes Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs.
- The Twins have shut down former Mariner Michael Pineda due to a torn meniscus. Am I the only one who didn’t know he was playing in the Twins organization?
- The Mets will not call up top first base prospect Peter Alonso this season, and his agents are not pleased about it.
- I have never heard of this sport but I am now its biggest fan.