Howdy folks! I hope you all are having a pleasant week so far. Let’s keep it going with these links.
In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic dove into the career year Edwin Díaz is having. ($)
- A well-deserved honor for Evan White.
Team of the Week: https://t.co/rw0q4k2vlD— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) August 27, 2018
#WhiteSox Eloy pic.twitter.com/qfd8iBgPIQ
- Ooooooh these are nice!
Around the league...
- Over at FiveThirtyEight, Travis Sawchik talks about how the A’s may be once again revolutionizing baseball.
- Tracy Ringolsby at Baseball America selects ten players he feels should be in Cooperstown by now but aren’t. Edgar Martinez makes the cut.
- None of you have been appreciating Aaron Nola enough.
Most bWAR by a pitcher in a single season, 2004 - present:— Rany Jazayerli (@jazayerli) August 27, 2018
1. Zack Greinke, 2009, 10.5 bWAR
2. Zack Greinke, 2015, 9.1 bWAR
3. AARON NOLA, 2018, 8.9 bWAR
4. Roy Halladay, 2011, 8.8 bWAR
5. Johan Santana, 2004, 8.7 bWAR
The Phillies still have 32 games left.
- Keep your eye out for this woman.
Jade Gortarez, Mechanics (rear view/78mph Fastball). pic.twitter.com/xOdxBfMjta— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) August 26, 2018
I've never seen a female pitcher throwing as hard as Jade Gortarez, who's sitting in the 74-76 range and has topped out at 78.— ʞazuto Yamazaʞi (@Kazuto_Yamazaki) August 26, 2018
- Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs wonders if there’s any predictability at all to clutchness.
- The Padres are calling up one of their top prospects.
The Padres are calling up Luis Urias tomorrow, as @sdutKevinAcee said. Urias is the No. 22 prospect in baseball and is hitting .296/.398/.447 at Triple-A this season. He's the Padres' presumed second baseman of the future.— AJ Cassavell (@AJCassavell) August 27, 2018
- Reports yesterday indicated that the Phillies had claimed José Bautista on trade waivers, but at this point no deal has been finalized.
- The Dodgers have agreed to a deal with reliever Zach McAllister.
- Kendrys Morales was unable to collect a hit yesterday as his home run streak was snapped after seven games.
- Shohei Ohtani plans to pitch again before the season ends.
- This is rad.
- For you basketball fans out there...
Breaking: Spurs legend Manu Ginobili has announced his retirement from the NBA after 16 seasons. pic.twitter.com/8NxDUUyT86— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) August 27, 2018
- Korean-born soccer star Son Heung-min must win an international tournament to avoid mandatory military service that could stunt his career.