In case you missed it, the Mariners won last night in extras on a walk-off balk.
For only the 22nd time in MLB history, a game has ended with a walk-off balk. @Dodgers pitcher Dylan Floro committed the balk with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 10th tonight, handing the @Mariners the win. Rarity! pic.twitter.com/G2EgvKoWDt— Alex Harris (@alexstuharris) August 19, 2018
I’m surprised that it had happened 21 times before this in the history of MLB. Regardless, what a weird way to win a baseball game. I’ll take it any day though. Go M’s.
In Mariners News...
- Former Mariner Jayson Werth does not like sabermetrics.
- Former Mariner Steve Cishek is starting a campaign to send pictures of dogs to Clayton Mortensen’s son, who is battling with cancer.
- Here’s an update on Mariners starting pitching.
Mariners officially have lefty Roenis Elias listed as the probable starter for Sunday's series finale with the Dodgers. Marco Gonzales pushed back to Wednesday. Felix Hernandez will start Monday.— TJ Cotterill (@TJCotterill) August 18, 2018
Around the League...
- Some pretty weird reports came out about Trevor Bauer yesterday, which he had to go deny.
For anyone who thinks this is actually true, it’s not. Saw this on the crawl of espn. Couldn’t hear the audio so not sure how they’re presenting it but it is not true at all. @espn https://t.co/cwITJLrrxi— Trevor Bauer (@BauerOutage) August 18, 2018
- Redmond’s Emily Tsujikawa is one of two high school athletes playing for the United States in the Woman’s Baseball World Cup.
- Chris Sale is continuing to deal with some shoulder issues. Does this open a door for Edwin DIaz in the Cy Young race?
.@RedSox place LHP Chris Sale (mild left shoulder inflammation) on 10-day DL, retro to 8/15.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) August 18, 2018
- Someone get her a contract.
- The Indians retired Jim Thome’s number.
- The Cubs turned SEVEN double plays yesterday.
- David Laurila writes about Clay Buchholz’ revitalized career in Arizona.
- The Huskies played a scrimmage in front of season ticket holders yesterday.