Good morning! As you may have noticed this week, our dear Ders has been unavailable (something about real job responsibilities? Pft!), so we as a staff have been cobbling together the Moose Tracks in his absence. There was a minor miscommunication, which lead to the lateness of this edition, and I apologize profusely if you were forced to eat your morning muesli sans Moose.
Anywho, despite a grim series in Oakland, a Thursday off day, and a smokey haze that felt like a rather heavy-handed metaphor, we made it to Friday: Without further ado, here are your links.
In Mariners News:
- DJ is precious but also, maybe it’s just me, he seems to bear a distinct resemblance to Sam Tuivailala here
- Come for the Kate Preusser prose, stay for the Jay-Z lyrics and overwhelmingly endearing Ben Gamel anecdote in “For Robinson Canó, a reputation lost, a legacy in progress.”
- Love to see the young’uns doing good in their community
- Welcome to the minor league pile, Chris
Per a release from the Atlantic League's Southern Maryland Blue Crabs, the Mariners have signed reliever Chris Mazza, and assigned him to Double-A Arkansas.— Reporter Joe Veyera (@JoeVeyera) August 17, 2018
The 28-year-old right-hander gave up one earned run in nine outings (21.2 innings), with 20 Ks, 2 BBs for the Blue Crabs. pic.twitter.com/6rdXUPXxr7
- Evan White really went...Nuts last night
Around the League:
- At this point the Marlins just feel like a multimillion dollar Derek Jeter troll job
Kind of incredible:— Boys & Gurleys In America (@CTowersCBS) August 16, 2018
The Marlins alone account for one-third of the reported attendance drop from 2017 to 2018. https://t.co/s4vgJNaGoY
- * begins creating “FREE PUIG” signs for the game tonight *
Yasiel Puig suspended two games for his role in bench-clearing incident in Dodgers-Giants game on Tuesday. https://t.co/oJePjhyHvl— MLB (@MLB) August 16, 2018
- Wildly unacceptable news
- Warning: Melissa Lockard’s “A love for all seasons,” will make you cry. It’s also beautiful.
- A sneaky benefit of late links? Bonus day-of links!
- The Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, passed away Thursday morning in Detroit from pancreatic cancer. Her entire discography is stunning, but this has been on replay for me all morning.
- Not a pick, but a crowd-source: my best friends from college are visiting this weekend, so give me all your recommendations for food, drinks, and activities with out-of-towners. Thanks in advance!